• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Repaint

greasemonkey1489

Hard-core CEG'er
For those of you that have repainted your t-red contour or gotten it painted (or any color, really, but t-red more specifically)..

Did you do a 2 stage paint job? The paint place I go to has single stage t-red but I feel like it wouldn't have the same "depth" as the original paint job

By 2 stage, do you mean base/clear or are you talking about 2 part clear?
Actually, I think you'll want both if you want it semi professional. I would definitely go with a base/clear and then the clearcoat itself should probably be a 2 or 3 part instead of a single part.
I think if you go with a single stage paint and you get a coupe runs, I'm not sure how you wetsand them out even. You'd get into the flake and then you end up with more problems.
Just my 2 cents, of course.
Erick --

The single stage paints are not going to match a base/clear setup. My trailer is a single stage and the car is a base/clear and they really don't match under certain lighting. You will not have the depth you are looking for. You can wetsand single stage and there is no clear to worry about going through.

If you want to see pics, I have some showing how different the midnight red colors are. It might not bother most people, but I notice it and it kindof bugs me.....

Back