• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Remote start Contour

JYBIRDcontour00

New CEG'er
I bought a Python 881xp remote start security system for my 2000 Contour. It has like 25 wires and they go everywhere. I was wondering if anyone else has put one of these or something similar in to their car and what i should watch out for...

Depending on where you go for install, and also dependent on if your vehicle is a Manual or Auto transmission the install price will vary 150- 250. You will need a PATS bypass module 20 bucks, and need to have a second key programmed 50-100 bucks for your car if you dont have one, clutch bypass is necessary (even though its only a relay) 25 bucks, In the end, on a cold day, when you dont wanna run outside, its kinda nice, but also, as you may have read, if your battery aint up to par for WHATEVER reason, youll be an unhappy camper. I do have a remote start on mine, Im in Minnesota and it gets cold up here once in while, but be prepared for that ONE day out of the year, that your car may not start. my 2 pennies.

But just for fun here you go....2000 Ford Contour Security Information
Constant 12V+ Red Ignition Switch Harness
Starter Gray/White Ignition Switch Harness
Ignition Green Ignition Switch Harness (heater)
Accessory Orange or Red/Blue Ignition Switch Harness
Tach Brown/Green or Brown/Blue Coil Pack, Use 2 Cylinder Setting
Neutral Safety Wire Black/Yellow Switch on Driver's Transmission
Brake Switch Orange/Yellow or Orange/Black Brake Switch
Trunk Release Orange/Green (+) Switch or Keyless Module behind Glove Compartment
Trunk Pin Black/Red (-) Keyless Module behind Glove Compartment
Parking Lights Red/Blue (+) And Red/Yellow at Light Switch Harness
Head Lamp Orange/Yellow (+) Light Switch
Factory Disarm Yellow/Purple (-) Driver's Kick Panel
Door Trigger Blue/White (-) Courtesy Light under Dash
Door Lock White/Green (+) Driver's Kick Panel
Door Unlock Yellow/Green (+) Driver's Kick Panel
Driver's Lock White/Green Left Kick Panel
Driver's Unlock Yellow/Purple Left Kick Panel
Passenger Unlock Yellow/Green Left Kick Panel
Horn Wire Red/Orange (-) 3 Pin Black Connector at Steering Column
Windows Up LF=Yellow, RF=Yellow/Purple, LR=Yellow/Purple, RR=Yellow
Windows Down LF=Yellow/Green, RF=White/Purple, LR=White/Blue, RR=White

Last edited:

Yeah, must say mine crapped out on me as well. Not sure whats wrong with it, but to its credit the alarm feature was the issue. Remote Starter was fine for a couple more months and than only started to have problems when it was damp out. Now it does not respond at all. I was going to have someone look at it when my income tax comes in, but now that I am in an apartment building and the lot is on the other side, I am out of range. So meh, as for the problem of installing it, get someone to do it. Get some kind of warranty that if it craps out later, they will fix it or repair it for free.

I dont know where i can find someone to put it in for me, i bought it off of e-bay for $300 under the normal price (which i was amazed by)... I know it would take me all day and night and id still do it wrong but i dont know who i can have do it...

Is there no local car audio place that has experience with them? If your really stuck you could find a Best Buy, but be forewarned, you might come out unhappy.

My 2 cents is if you cant do it, dont start the job. If you take it somewhere half-arsed, the Install place is gonna be like, "we're gonna remove all your wires you did cause we dont want a liability on our hands" plain and simple, save up the 200 bucks and bring it in to a specialty shop. Theres gotta be one in your nieborhood somewhere. Best Buy Meh, its all the same wires if they have a install bay, they've done plenty of installs im sure, but it would all depend on what installer you get that day. Try to find a place that deals with your particular alarm, DEI is it? Python you said....well theyre pretty much everywhere and im sure where ever you go, will give you at least 6 months warranty. My advice is pretty much useless but I like typing. lol01

We have had all of our remote starters instaled for our cars (95 f150, 97 LeSabre, 92 K150, 99 Tahoe) at Ultimate Electrnoics without a single problem. I will most likly be taking my car there if I get a system they sell. If I go Compustar, Mach1 Car Audio will be my choice.

Back