• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

recommended oil filter for 2.5

I had to take my car to a quick lube place because I lack a way to dispose of the oil until I can get back in the school shop. The oil place put a Quaker State filter on. Are these any good?

No. They are relabeled Frams. Before Pennzoil bought Quaker State, Quaker State used Purolators, but Pennzoil switched them over and Shell didn't change anything when Shell bought them both.

A surprisingly good filter is the Walmart Super Tech filters. Their made by Champions Labs. There well constructed, have a 97-98% first pass filter efficacy, and descent oil retention valves. A well used favorite over at the Bobistheoilguy forums (where I learned of them).

Dont let the cheap price fool you, there better than a majority of oil filters out there! I personally use Pure One oil filters for the CSVT, but the family car and my daily beater use Super Tech.

I'm kinda confused. Ever since day one when I joined CEG, Mobil 1 oil and filters were the only ones to use. Have things changed or have the people giving advice changed?

url

who cares bro!? if we didn't bring old threads back to life, people would start new ones! and what for, when it already exists? you can learn alot from threads like this! =) but all joking aside...motorcraft is where its at. i have tried amsoil oil filters but didn't really notice a difference.

who cares bro!? if we didn't bring old threads back to life, people would start new ones! and what for, when it already exists? you can learn alot from threads like this! =) but all joking aside...motorcraft is where its at. i have tried amsoil oil filters but didn't really notice a difference.
I was just messing;) I use M1 5/30 with a Motorcraft 820 200+k and still kicking:cool:

i was just messing around too bro... just having some fun. the next time i drain my oil...i'm using AMSOIL. my svt is consuming about a half a quart, about every other month. its doing pretty good, i also need to clean my UIM AND LIM. very soon! i have new gaskets...lol but i'm trying to get randy collins to powder coat my UIM that i just got. =)

I was just messing;) I use M1 5/30 with a Motorcraft 820 200+k and still kicking:cool:

i was just messing around too bro...having some fun...

the next time i drain my oil tho...i'm using amsoil or royal purple. i know i'm going to pay out the ass, but i have ran it in my protege, and it runs soo much better. my contour consumes about a half a quart every other month or so. its doing pretty good. the last time i changed my oil, i put about 6 quarts in. and the oil line was a little over full, it now reads a little under full. but i won't use any other filter besides motorcraft. i think its all B/S on how this one works better than this one.

P.S. i don't drive my svt that much either. i'm sure if i did, it would consume more oil by far!

I'm kinda confused. Ever since day one when I joined CEG, Mobil 1 oil and filters were the only ones to use. Have things changed or have the people giving advice changed?

Nice to see you posting Tom! I currently run Amsoil with a K&N filter. Prior to the Amsoil switch over it was Mobil1 with a motorcraft filter

if you are looking to switch over there is a guy in the grafton/columbia station area that sells Amsoil at a pretty good price. Look up Pike Equipment if you are interested. Usually has everything in stock. I have gotten oil from him, trans fluid, brake fluid, and 2 cycle mix and he has knocked 10% off the price everytime I have been there

I use whatever better filter is on sale. Motorcrafts are very good, because they're basically Purolaters (and not the Pureones). But Purolater makes one of the best bargin filters out there. I also like Napa Gold (or at least used too), Mobil1, the Fram (gray) Tough Guard and Extended Guard filters (not the orange "Extra guards" which are junk).

Well, if a thread can be resurrected once, I reckon it can be another time.

Has anyone noticed that Ford now uses the FL500S filter on our V6 engines? I usually take my car in to the dealer for service but had to do it myself this last time and noticed this smaller filter fitted. I hadn't noticed this before and don't know how long they've been using this filter. I wonder if Ford is substituting the smaller filter on any other of the engines that the FL820S fitted?
Karl

Well, if a thread can be resurrected once, I reckon it can be another time.

Has anyone noticed that Ford now uses the FL500S filter on our V6 engines? I usually take my car in to the dealer for service but had to do it myself this last time and noticed this smaller filter fitted. I hadn't noticed this before and don't know how long they've been using this filter. I wonder if Ford is substituting the smaller filter on any other of the engines that the FL820S fitted?
Karl
I have seen those filter I think it has more to do with ease of access than anything else

Back