• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Rechip?

ContourSwag

Be Gentle I'm New Here
I want to rechip my car to improve the performance and possibly the gas. Does anyone know a good chip to get or have any points on what I should do to improve HP :help:

You can get an SCT chip with custom tune also. Nautilus performance was able to do a custom tune on a chip I bought here used. Cheaper than buying an Xcal.

The only type of car where milage can actually improve as a result of a tune itself that I'm aware of is a turbocharged diesel (long been proven on Volkswagens). Otherwise, the only things that will improve fuel economy on a gasser are:

1. Take the "lead" out of your foot (this means speeding as well as rate of acceleration)
2. Learn the art of hypermiling (drafting trucks, pulse & glide driving, turning the engine off at long red lights, etc.)
3. Improve maintenance on the car if your current efforts are shoddy (maintain tire air pressure, make sure air filter is clean, a UIM/LIM cleanout may be needed if you have a Duratec V6, make sure you have good wheel alignment, solve all CEL codes if the car is throwing any, change plugs and wires if worn out, etc.)
4. If tires are due for replacing, get replacements that have low rolling resistance.

These 4 will yield the biggest return on investment.

actually a tune CAN be used to increase fuel economy. from the factory most cars are tuned to run rather rich, especially when accelerating. this is done because its safe for the engine and provides a good chance at a long running engine. however with a tune you can lean it out a bit, and still be safe as long as you know what you are doing and dont go to lean. the leaner you get the less fuel you are burning (duh!). that said, you do need to be careful as lean conditions burn hotter and can cause problems. just how much you can lean it out will depend on your individual car and how much risk you are willing to take. you MUST have at least a wideband O2 sensor and a knock sensor, an EGT sensor would be nice as well.

Back