• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Rear strut perch pic request

CSVT#49

Addicted CEG'er
So I'm just about to install my rear struts/knuckles and notice that there is nothing on the strut perch on the rear subframe. I could have sworn there was a piece of rubber that slides over the perch and then the strut rests on top of it. I looked everywhere (all my bag and tag stuff) and can not find anything that fits the bill.

So the question is, am I smoking crack or is there really a piece of rubber there. This is what happens when your car has been apart in pieces for 3+ years...

You are correct. There is a rubber boot or cover that goes over the rear subframe where the strut contacts it in the unloaded position.

Fantastic.... looks like I'm taking a trip to the junkyard. I wonder if I could fabricate something that would work. I'd imagine a thick piece of rubber would fit the bill. It's not like it's going to slide off of the perch once the strut is resting on it.

I would just glue some rubber sheet to the perch, if anything. The strut only makes contact when the car is in the air, why not just forget about them?

I would just glue some rubber sheet to the perch, if anything. The strut only makes contact when the car is in the air, why not just forget about them?

I was going to, but then I found a large scrap piece of 1/8" thick rubber mat material and cut a couple of pads out. I'm going to slap some clips on it later on, but for now I'm content.

They're easy to loose so it makes sense that you don't have them. I was replacing a rear mount on the Cougar the other day and mine came flying off when the strut hit it.

I used a couple of "rubber feet" that have adhesive on one side. These are an inch in diameter, circular in shape and 1/2 inch in height. Cleaned the perch well, and "peel and paste" two on each perch, side by side. These are used as replacement feet on desk top computer cases. Just another option.

Back