• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Ready...Set...Loud as funk!

TheMexicanJob

Banned?
well fun day... exhaust has been leaking for awhile now and i got a chance to get under the car today and check it out. I see that it is leaking from a weld joint, i tried to use some of the patch crap, well it doesn't like to flex, so it broke. As i was driving to try and find a solution the exhaust breaks. Luckily due to the hangers it didn't fall and hit the ground causing who knows what kind of damage. I had some crap lying around from my mustang and well, when your exhaust breaks and you don't want carbon shooting all over the bottom of the car, you add a turn down. this is by no means a permanent fix as it will annoy the hell out of me, but just till i can get enough money together to get my new exhaust welded up i have sitting in my storage unit.

DSC_0162.jpg

DSC_0163.jpg

the fix louder than hell...

DSC_0164.jpg

Yea I've been there too man. I was redoing my exhaust and I did away with the rear 2 mufflers and was putting a magnaflow turbo race 3 chamber muffler in the place of the resonator. Well the night before the products where suspossed to arrive I cut everything from the resonator back off, so I could cut some expense at the muffler shop and make it easier on them. Well the next day my order never showed up and I got a call saying it had been lost in transit and that it would be about 2 weeks before they arrived. So I did the same thing you did and had to live with the extremely loud conditions. While it was like this I once passed a friend with it at about 6K rpms. He later told me that he thought a bi-plane was coming up on him. It drove me insane too.

I sort of had something like that happen to me in my 92 Topaz. My cousin and I had jacked the car up to do some work when I heard a loud pop. It was the orig. exhaust from 92 in 99, with Chicago weather on it. It seems that was enough of a flex to pop the exhaust. A week later it fell down after the cat while I was pulling a u turn. I had some speaker wire, so I got under there and tied the exhaust up and drove home on highway. It was loud a fook. Some a**hat in a Z3 pulled up next to me on the highway laughing and told me my exhaust had come off. I gave him the finger and floored it.

Been there (though didn't do that). My SE's exhaust broke at like 26K miles, definitely annoying when you're driving up steep hills. Sounded great at idle though.

Back