• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Re: Lower Intake Manifold

Harrry

The car idles at 600 rpm and honestly I could put a cup of coffee on the intake manifold and it would barely shake. Before I replaced the MAF, UIM/LIM Gaskets, fuel filter and spark plugs, It was running kind of sluggish and it would buck slightly sometimes if I applied the gas lightly while cruising at 50 mph in fourth gear. If you're patient, the entire saga can be read at:
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=46723

However, after I did those maintenance items the car felt like the first year I had it (awesome!). It has never burned oil. I've always used Mobil 1 silicone since new. I had the transmission replaced with a brand new one at 55,000 miles under warranty. Apparently, something that was spring-loaded and held in with a circlip, blew out while I was driving. I lost all the fluid and had it towed back to the dealer. They said the tranny case was damaged at the circlip indent. and replaced the unit with a brand-new tranny.

Anyway, I digress. I had a smoke test and fuel pressue check at one shop. They told me the UIM/LIM gaskets were leaking along with the IMRC rod passages. I replaced the gaskets myself, along with a careful leak check and couldn't find anything. I replaced bank 1 upstream sensor, and both downstream sensors (with added mil elimination). The car runs great! The only hint I have that it is running lean are the spark plug ceramics being snow white.

I couldn't believe I was having a vacuum problem with such a pristine rock steady idle, so I brought the car to the current shop and told them I had codes p0171, p0174 and I suspected a fuel pressure problem. The mechanic said no way, and did another smoke test which he claims shows leakage at ALL the throttle passages. This is where I'm at now. He charged me $95 to troubleshoot and $400 to supposedly fix the IMRC rod leakage, but the codes are still there.

I left the car with him and asked him to complete the repair I paid for. Now I just found out today that NYS is fining me $8 daily because I'm unregistered and I didn't turn my plates in. But, I can't register the car without it passing the obd2 check. In other words I'm screwed unless I can get rid of these blasted codes.

Back