• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

raspy ricey exhaust

Hayabusa9900

CEG'er
hey guys i need a lil help/advise

i have a 98 contour 2.5 dtec and when i bought the car the exhaust was rusted out at the y pipe off the motor. i took it to a local shop the week i got it and had them redo the exhaust. it didnt sound too bad so i left it. after driving it for a couple months i realized that i had a raspy ricer sounding exhaust at midrange rpms.

a few weeks ago i decided to purchase a basanni catback exhaust from a fellow CEG member. Pblack003, great guy was totally understanding and had immediate responses to anything that i asked him. i received the exhaust and finally today i decided to put it on since i had some free time.

when i got under the car i found out that there was no resonator after the flexpipe, therefore there was no place to "bolt" the exhaust to my car. i cut the flange off and installed the kit and it sounds great.

unfortunately the raspy sound is still there at the same rpm range.

Does anyone have any reason as to y i have this raspy sound... what causes it or how it can be fixed. i have heard a few CSVTs and they all sounds really good and have great power and tone in the midrange... so y does mine sound like this.

again open to any and all suggestions to get rid of this sound and get a deeper toned exhaust. ive heard the basanni system is great and have heard the same system on someone elses car, which is what convinved me to get it for my own.

thanks alot

any ideas on where i should install it at
also glasspacks are directional so i would want the "scoops" facing towards the front of the car correct?

there is no cat. there is the cats below the manifolds then the y pipe and flex pipe and thats where it ends and the basanni kit was installed.
also any suggestions on good brands idc what it looks like as long as it makes it sounds better

So you just have precats,?no main cat correct..........I would first get I high flow cat and then add a glasspack before the mufflers....but that's just me...jeez no wonder u have so much rasp!

sry man thats the way it was when i got it. it has had a poor sad beaten up life the body kit is all trashed and the shifter has like an inch or more of play when in gear is has lateral play.

any sugestions on what brand is a reasonable priced high flow cat and install it behind the flexpipe where it belongs correct? also any suggestions on where i could find a body kit or fix the shifter

Off the top of my head I would say magnaflow but you should use the search feature on here type in "high flo cat" and see what pops up...also try reading the exhaust sticky you might find what your looking for in there.... just my 0.2 :cool:

im sure u meant 0.02 correct lol jus givin ya a hard time lol
thanks alot for the help

any ideas about this shifter

Shift cable bushing repair is not too bad, it really depends on the type of cable ends you have. If you get in there and find the bushings are worn/gone let me know, i can walk you thru a fix.

Also, try justmagnaflow.com for universal cat and resonator. The 4" round universal muffler is very popular in the resonator position for knocking down rasp.

I'm running a bassani with headers, bat Y, cat, no resonator. It has some light rasp in the mid-range like you describe. I hope to add the magnaflow in the future to get rid of it completely.

a few weeks ago i decided to purchase a basanni catback exhaust from a fellow CEG member. Pblack003, great guy was totally understanding and had immediate responses to anything that i asked him.

when i got under the car i found out that there was no resonator after the flexpipe, therefore there was no place to "bolt" the exhaust to my car. i cut the flange off and installed the kit and it sounds great.

Thanks and best of luck with that rasp .. a lil tuning will work that out .. remember the more air you let the motor intake the more you let go out the exhaust .. maybe modifying the intake on your ride will help ??? idk just a guess .. also im sure adding a cat and resonator will help you out .. anyway keep in touch and let me know how it goes

That was my old exhaust and I couldn’t have been happier with it. There was absolutely no rasp and it did not sound like a rice burner. I had stock exhaust manifolds, a Y pipe with a magnaflow muffler (I think it’s similar to this one http://www.jegs.com/p/Magnaflow/Magnaflow-Performance-Glass-Pack-Mufflers/1432258/10002/-1) and the Bassani cat back. I really do miss the sound.

Now after installing the 3L with headers the rasp was so bad I wouldn’t drive the car.

i hated to have to let it go without installing it .. but .. as soon as it arrived i got a knock in the 2.5 needed a lil extra funds to justify the 3L MPV motor .. anyway i'll get another one by mid summer .. i hope :)

i hated to have to let it go without installing it .. but .. as soon as it arrived i got a knock in the 2.5 needed a lil extra funds to justify the 3L MPV motor .. anyway i'll get another one by mid summer .. i hope :)

dude! thats exactly what happened to me. i got my exhaust and within 15 miles of driving to a friends house it spun a bearing. pissed me off. and i also got a 3.0 because of it

Back