• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Random Bucking/hesitations

Updated

Updated

so I have had the car back for a couple of weeks now, they replaced the VCT solenoid, and somehow didnt touch the cam timing at all, it looked exactly how It was when bill and I had put the car back together. I havent had a "real" issue with it since I Have had it back, but little things dont feel right. The power band is completely different now, and not smooth at all, in just regular driving I can feel the power of the motor randomly kicking in, and when I give it the beans at abotu 3 grandish (I think?) I feel the car hesitate like it wants to accelerate but I dont get any extra power. Plus when I back off the gas pedal in gear, normally I get a quick little buck (worn out trans mounts) then smooth deceleration, after getting the car back from the shop, now it bucks a lot when decelerating in gear.

Plus, I ran this by hector, but I will post it anyways. Whenever I let the motor rev down, like when I push the clutch in to shift gears, I hear a bouncy rattle coming from the back of the motor, it sounds like a headshield rattleing, but I cant figure out for the life of me which one, I looked down there and didnt find anything abnormal. Mechanically the motor runs great, I have been regularly seeing 28 mpg average, and I pushed 31.5 in congested memorial day weekend freeway driving. Anybody have any suggestions? I just put a focus air intake on it which made a difference, but not a big one... Aside from being louder than sin, and my exhaust combined :crazy:

Sounds like the cam timing still isn't dead on.

I'm not familiar with a variable timing model (at all) but valve overlap at the wrong _time_ is what things sound like. On decel the intake or the exhaust valves aren't where they're supposed to be. And by the same token on accel they aren't either. You have an actuating solenoid that's probably looking at a little load but mostly rpm.

The way to absolutely, positively determine that the cams are in their proper positions is to pull the cam cover and check them. It's not an easy job. The engine isn't a run-of-the-mill gas burner.

Exactly. I feel like the timing is slightly retarded, Primarily because my gas mileage is much higher then it used to be.

I have also found using the cruise control hurts gas mileage :shrug:

my only issue with that... is that the shop that fixed the car probably wouldnt want to redo the timing for free, they are the kind of shop that says "does it run fine? is there a check engine light on?" and I can say "Yes and no."

I mean, I know the car how it should and shouldnt feel, and its hard to describe that to someone. Plus I have done about 1-2K miles since its been fixed, im sure they wont believe me if I brought it in... *sigh* this car has been great, aside from the same problem over and over and over again.

Last edited:
Exactly. I feel like the timing is slightly retarded, Primarily because my gas mileage is much higher then it used to be.

I have also found using the cruise control hurts gas mileage :shrug:

my only issue with that... is that the shop that fixed the car probably wouldnt want to redo the timing for free, they are the kind of shop that says "does it run fine? is there a check engine light on?" and I can say "Yes and no."

I mean, I know the car how it should and shouldnt feel, and its hard to describe that to someone. Plus I have done about 1-2K miles since its been fixed, im sure they wont believe me if I brought it in... *sigh* this car has been great, aside from the same problem over and over and over again.
Your previous posts said that they did quote you for the vct solenoid and doing the cam timing. FWIW, I probably wouldn't ( I repaired autos for years) like to do the job. It is a pia.

But! they gave you a quote and you're not satisfied. Those are the facts. Look into arbitration for setting things right. Some shops have insurance for (typically) serious problems, like they blew up your engine after doing an oil change. It's not your problem they didn't repair the car, it's their problem.

It's easy for me to wax philosophic about things but you have options. You could file a complaint with your State Attorney General. I did a couple of years ago after I had a problem with an online computer parts vendor. (That and stopping payment on my credit card.) I won. They took the part back _and_ paid for the shipping.

I hope it turns out, even if you have to roll up your sleeves and do it yourself.

I do have one thing I can use to show there is a problem. I have been experimenting more with it lately, and I found out that, especially in 3rd gear, if I get up to about 3500 RPM then let off the gas pedal, it bucks like CRAZY. Literally makes me go forward in my seat. I know thats not right.

Back