• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Ran 98 out of fuel....

conbon

CEG'er
Ran her out going up a hill, stuttered a bit then died. I had the radio turned up so I don't know if the pump got louder as it ran out of fuel. Coasted to a stop in front of my buddies house. Filled it with 2 gallons of fresh gas, low fuel light went off, tried to start and nothing happened. When you prime the ignition you don't hear the pump, fuse is still good, emergence fuel cut-of wasn't tripped, no pressure from the schrader valve on the fuel rail.

Is it a safe bet to say the fuel pump died? If so, what size pump do I need? I see they come in 4-1/2" and 6-1/2" inlet sizes, how do I know what I have?

-Connor

There is a good chance that the kill button on the fuel pump popped to prevent damage from happening to it... Look on the panel to the left of where your left foot rests when you are driving, and you should see a little hole that you can stick your finger in... If the button has indeed popped, you will be able to push it back down and maybe solve your problem...

EDIT: "emergence fuel cut-of wasn't tripped" - Whoops, I just wrote this for nothing :troutslap:

i defininitly should have looked, I wasn't aware how east it was to access the pump. I got in my new Walbro 190 returnless pump today, about 5 minutes later I realized that I need a returned pump. Now I have to wait like another week.

-••••

i defininitly should have looked, I wasn't aware how east it was to access the pump. I got in my new Walbro 190 returnless pump today, about 5 minutes later I realized that I need a returned pump. Now I have to wait like another week.

-••••

its always a good idea to replace your fuel filter while you're at it. they're only a couple bucks. these are something that a LOT of car owners put off replacing for whatever reason. clogged fuel filters increase the rate at which your fuel pump will fail. if you put a new fuel pump in, do the filter. trust me!!!

replaced filter about 3k ago, when I pulled the upstream line off it to check fuel pressure there wasn't any gunky stuff falling out off it, so I'm gonna guess its still good.

Replacing the fuel filter is easier than changing the oil on these cars...

Back