• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Ramps %(*&@#$(*

elraido

I kant speel
How in the world do you get these car up ramps? the ones i had were PERFECT for my talon, a smidge too low for the SE (had to use wood to extend it a little bit, and for the SVT it is down right impossible. Am I going to have to settle for using a 3 ton jack and jack stands? I hate using those things cause I like how sturdy the ramps are.

use some 2x4's then jeck the car up .... otherwise search and there where some ramps designed by a mustang guy and posted on the web .... but they are basically 8 ft long ramps with a very low incline ...

My lowered car will climb the low ramps you get at Pep Boys and some other stores after you drive it up on some wood first. Otherwise the front bumper will push the ramp forward before the tires contact it. I just did this over the weekend for the first time since I've had the car. I could finally drain and refill the MTX. :cool: Before that it was jackstands and it was too crowded under the front of the car to move around much.
Karl

maybe I will just install a hydrolic lift in my garage LOL. My freinds neighbor has one in his....his old garage was struck by lighting and he has a wood shop that is his buisness in it. So everything was ruined. So what does he do? Guts it out and redid the whole thing. I drool everytime I drive by it and look inside. 8 foot long ramps....that is crazy enough to where it just might work.

my buddy and i use those little red bricks you find at any hardware store stacked and placed juuuuuust so and drive the csvt up the ramp with no problems that way.

I've toyed with the idea of installing air jacks on the car like many racing cars have but I'm still not sure where they'd fit without too much surgery to the underside.
Karl

There was a thread about getting SVTs up on ramps not too long ago. Here's the link.

i remember seeing that now...after I see it again LOL!. not a bad idea. Have to find me some big wood blocks....good thing we have enough trees at my dads, just walk out into the woods with a chain saw and start carving up a fallen jackpine.

maybe I will just install a hydrolic lift in my garage LOL. My freinds neighbor has one in his....his old garage was struck by lighting and he has a wood shop that is his buisness in it. So everything was ruined. So what does he do? Guts it out and redid the whole thing. I drool everytime I drive by it and look inside. 8 foot long ramps....that is crazy enough to where it just might work.

even with the hydrolic lift in my father's garage its quite a job to lift my svt, even with stock suspension the i need to jack the car a little bit to enter the legs of the lift under it cause of those sideskirt...

If you like using the ramps, just use the jack to get the car up to the height that you want and slip the ramps underneath.:idea:

If you like using the ramps, just use the jack to get the car up to the height that you want and slip the ramps underneath.:idea:
That's harder than you'd think. Even using the lower A arm as a jack point, it takes several times repositioning the jack to get the car all the way up. If you're using the side jack point, forget it. I did this on a Zetec, and it took a good 45 minutes or more by myself to get it on the ramps. Of course, mine wasn't running at all, so I had to go all the way up with it. You might be able to get the car part way on the ramps so you clear the lowest part, then drive it the rest of the way up.

Needs more homemade ramps.

ramps7.JPG

Unfortunately, all of the contour pics with these kind of ramps are dead in the archives. This is the only one I could find.

i told my brother (a engineer who designs these sort of things) to make me some...we will see how hard he laughs at me in the email back. But, if he can come up with a design made for this car specifically I might have to post it on here.

i remember seeing that now...after I see it again LOL!. not a bad idea. Have to find me some big wood blocks....good thing we have enough trees at my dads, just walk out into the woods with a chain saw and start carving up a fallen jackpine.

After I started reading this, I was hoping I wasn't going to have to quote a thread I had previously started lol :D Looks like someone else already did though...

I've toyed with the idea of installing air jacks on the car like many racing cars have but I'm still not sure where they'd fit without too much surgery to the underside.
Karl

I actually thought of the same thing. It would be nice to just hit a switch and have the car lift up on 4 pistons.

Needs more homemade ramps.

ramps7.JPG

Unfortunately, all of the contour pics with these kind of ramps are dead in the archives. This is the only one I could find.

These are the first ones that I've ever seen that makes any sense at all. I've got a set that I got from Sears that works great if I BACK onto it. As far as driving forward, never, not even with 2x6's laid on them to lengthen the ramp. I tried that too, even braced them underneath so they wouldn't break (they did anyway). They would shoot out if I wasn't really careful with the clutch. Now, if I have to get under the front (as I have to now to fix the PIAA's), I drive onto a couple 2x4's, jack it up, then use jack stands. It takes as long to jack it up as it does to fix the lamps. What a royal PITA!

I am definately gonna make these ramps.

These are what I use. Just bought some presure treated lumber from Home Depot, cut them to different lengths and angle cut the ends. I also used screws to hold the wood together that way I can add more or reduce the height of the ramps.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

That's harder than you'd think. Even using the lower A arm as a jack point, it takes several times repositioning the jack to get the car all the way up. If you're using the side jack point, forget it. I did this on a Zetec, and it took a good 45 minutes or more by myself to get it on the ramps. Of course, mine wasn't running at all, so I had to go all the way up with it. You might be able to get the car part way on the ramps so you clear the lowest part, then drive it the rest of the way up.

Why don't you use the front of the subframe when jacking up the car? You can lift the whole front of the car at once.

Back