• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Radiator Fan Removal Issues

We're glad you're making progress, but a lower rather than a higher t-stat might have been a better choice.... it would have opened a bit sooner there by running a bit cooler maybe at the m.. just thinking , but you probably had to go with what you could get at the time.

AF
a lower t-stat doesnt make the car run any cooler, it just opens sooner so the coolant will circulate sooner helping to keep the engine cooler longer.

REPLACE THE TEMP SENDING UNIT. its notorious for them to read high on the zetecs.

If you have a Zetec 4 cylinder, don't worry about the gauge.

If you have a Duratec 6 cylinder, change out the water pump and thermostat.

That's true about the Z's that's why Ford just finally said as long as it wasn't in the red it was ok ... they couldn't get it to run in the middle either .... LOL

I may replace the sending unit soon, but it's at least partially correct because there are obvious signs of overheating when it in fact does move into the red.

I drove it home (11 miles) with NOOO coolant after the wreck.. wanna talk about OVERHEATING. xD

It shouldnt have been that hard, I loostened up my mounts rocked the motor back and pulled mine out easily.

Back