• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Questions on res/muffler size/locations

I'll wash my car this coming weekend. GAWD, at least my interior doesnt look like some cops had a week long stake out in it. Between cement dust, dirt roads, and South Dakota/North Dakota winters, it is horrible looking. Anyways, hopefully the weather is nice and it can be a wash/polish/wax weekend for me.

haha... i hate dirt roads.

i hate mud more. my girlfriends bro runs a construction business out of thier house... so with all the machinery.. they can pave their lot. and they dont have gravel. so its all dirt. now that the snow is melting... its all mud. so my carpets need shampooing and i have to spray the shiz outta my wheel wells to remove the mud

haha... i hate dirt roads.

i hate mud more. my girlfriends bro runs a construction business out of thier house... so with all the machinery.. they can pave their lot. and they dont have gravel. so its all dirt. now that the snow is melting... its all mud. so my carpets need shampooing and i have to spray the shiz outta my wheel wells to remove the mud

I was working at a ready mix plant for a while, so there was Fly-Ash, Cement, and then all the dirt and dust from there, plus I would go see people and thats on gravel, then going back and forth between here and North Dakota to visit my wifes family, and some of my friends, yeah, it was a bad winter for the contour. Probably the dirtiest it has ever gotten, People were making fun of how it looked under the hood, I am not even gonna take a picture of it from the side. Then again it doesnt look horrible right now while the rain is pouring on it... If it would just rain all the time I would have no problem.

good read!!!
I'm thinking out exhaust options, lots of info in here to think about. 99.9% sure I'll be running catless true duals into a dual in dual out muffler, now wondering if I should throw some resonators on there.....I wasn't planning it though.

Harry, what do you think about running reducers if say the muffler doesn't come in the inlet/outlet diameter you are looking for?

Harry, what do you think about running reducers if say the muffler doesn't come in the inlet/outlet diameter you are looking for?

Reducers are fine. Np with adding them. They actually have the reducer inserts. They look like a round 1/2 inch wide piece that they slide into the piping. Go with those because they keep the same ID true. Which is great for flow without the turbulence.

You will need 2 flex pipes...2 resonators...close up to the front as possible...to reduce all sorts of rasp :blackeye:..then go with a muffler dual in/out muffler so you get best of both worlds of the x-pipe and muffler design.

Now i might kill your hopes with this...but our cars were designed to have a y-pipe in that exact location....so your cars timining is based around that merging piece. If you merge your exhaust in the rear...like say the resonator spot...your tone will change dramatically. Also your cars performance might decrease...due to the pulse waves clashing so much later down the exhaust.

Try to place the x-pipe or h-pipe as close to the original y-pipe location!!
It was placed there for several reasons :)

This is from demonsvt....which was the person that i got my ideas from. :)

2" I.D. True Dual Exhaust with Twin Resonators & Balance Pipe then straight back to MagnaFlow Rear Mufflers with 3" Twin Walled SS Tips
All keys areas of the exhaust are wrapped with Thermo-Tec Thermo Shielding

DualWrap.jpg

B-Pipe1.jpg

B-Pipe2.jpg

Duals4.jpg

Duals-Off.jpg

So after thinking about all this some more, I think I'm going to do a muffler in the stock resonator location with resonators in the stock muffler locations. Single exhaust with 2.5" piping. Question now is what size (length mostly) would you recommend? I am currently thinking of 12" resonators (overall length, body is 9.5"), with a 4" round muffler with a length of 20" overall, 15" shell. There is also a 6" round muffler with nearly identical lengths. Thoughts??

Back