• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

question.

SVTRacer

Hard-core CEG'er
i know you all are probably going to flame me for this but i assure you i USED the search.

where is the how-to on Hightowering headlights?

i've only found one and half the sentences are all chopped off because the picture is too big and it is wider than my CEG website is and it wont allow me to scroll all the way right to read, it'll only scroll to the end of the picture...

yeah, see. this is where im lost.

how many ways are there to go about hightowering the headlights?

like i have a black CSVT and i want the headlights black..

yeah, see. this is where im lost.

how many ways are there to go about hightowering the headlights?

like i have a black CSVT and i want the headlights black..

where exactly are u lost? theres only one way to do it, at least properly anyway. bake them open and paint the inside whatever color u want. Follow the instructions to the letter, and u'll be fine.

the baking part.

do you bake them to open the up and take them apart and then just paint and put back together?

yah how else are you gonna get them blacked out? you bake them so the adhesive that holds it together becomes soft, then you pry them apart. paint them whatever color, they replace sealant on them and let dry.

alright.

i talked to dad and i told him about the baking the light and pulling it apart, and his response was..

"baking, what the h*ll, no we're not doing that!!"

You won't ruin the oven. Honest.
Do it Mike. :)
One thing, on the outer edges of the headlights there is a silver strip, make sure to make that body color. Looks cleaner if that is black too.

You won't ruin the oven. Honest.
Do it Mike. :)
One thing, on the outer edges of the headlights there is a silver strip, make sure to make that body color. Looks cleaner if that is black too.

it's not so much the oven. trust me on this issue, im 17 and ive gotten a little curious as what what stuff does under extreme heat..lol.

its the fact that you have to pull the headlight out and apart into sixybillion pieces and then paint and put it back together.

it's not so much the oven. trust me on this issue, im 17 and ive gotten a little curious as what what stuff does under extreme heat..lol.

its the fact that you have to pull the headlight out and apart into sixybillion pieces and then paint and put it back together.

Oh boy, sounds like you've had some fun with the oven in the past. LOL!

It's easier than it sounds.

Oh boy, sounds like you've had some fun with the oven in the past. LOL!

It's easier than it sounds.

yeah, this will prob be a LONG time away project, i want to get a new set of headlights( ive seen a few myst. around with new lights and they are CLEAN and CLEAR, so yeh) when i do that, the hightower job will be a play around on the old lights just to see what goes wrong and all.

yeah, this will prob be a LONG time away project, i want to get a new set of headlights( ive seen a few myst. around with new lights and they are CLEAN and CLEAR, so yeh) when i do that, the hightower job will be a play around on the old lights just to see what goes wrong and all.
That's probably what we're going to wind up doing. We've got a set of brand new lights left over from the last Contour, once the ones that are on the car now start to show their age we'll bake 'em.

~Mike~

Sixtybillion? More like 3 screws and 3 pieces of plastic- lens, chrome trim, and housing.

Back