• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Question about Wheel Fitment

Berkel

Hard-core CEG'er
Been discussed before but I'm willing to squeeze some skinny tires:

What are your guys thoughts about an 18x8.5 rim? I know I won't have many problems with the front, but the back will be bad unless I get new springs to raise it up another .25-5" because of sagging (Eibachs). Would it look awkward with a 35 series tire on there?
Also, friend of mine says a 215mm tire is recommended on the 8.5" rim. Made me wonder because I'm running a 215mm tire on my FSVT's
hsugh.gif

Can get up to +45 offset btw guys.

Thanks for any help guys.

Last edited:
Did you mean to type 7.5 and not 8.5? Ive got a 7.5" rim and I run into issues...

Yep I said 8.5" .. and 215 is bleh. I'll figure something out :D

I'll run 45 offset and some major rolling. Maybe a little tire stretch. Either way I hate the way my FSVT's are tucked inside the wheel well.

Thanks guys.

With a 8.5" rim, I can almost gaurantee youll be hitting the rear fender. My 19x8s hit the rear fender ever so slightly as it is with just a 8" rim.

If you hate the way your wheels are tucked, get spacers. that and running a far out offset are going to screw with your wheel bearings either way

My 7" wheels, both 16"s and 17"s rub the fender w/ a 225 tire. It might look cooler but it's a ton of work getting them to not rub at all.

My 7" wheels, both 16"s and 17"s rub the fender w/ a 225 tire. It might look cooler but it's a ton of work getting them to not rub at all.
Hmm thanks guys. I always thought my FSVT's were 7.5", and now knowing they're 7" .. 8.5" will be .. hard as hel* to squeeze in there. I found an 18x7.5 that should work though 8)

I agree with you man. I see the car and im like, man I love the way those sit. Then I put a buddy in the passenger seat, and it rubs going around turns and I just :cry:

I agree with you man. I see the car and im like, man I love the way those sit. Then I put a buddy in the passenger seat, and it rubs going around turns and I just :cry:
I only have 215's but never rub, even with my sagging Eibach springs. I've had 4 people in the car before and was taking turns at normal speed and never rub. Watch me put 225's on and rub like a ***** :D

Back