• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

putting an SVT top end on a non-SVT contour

mrcharlieboy

Be Gentle I'm New Here
could anyone tell me if you can take the top end from the SVT 2.5L V6 and easily swap it onto the non-SVT 2.5L V6 block

Easily...humm. Well, you have to remove the engine from the car in order to do it. If your going through all that wor you should just upgrade to a 3.0.

Not to sabotage the original poster...
I would be interested to know how much of a gain i would get if I moved the TB,UIM and LIM over to standard 2.5l on a 96SE. I might have access to a dead SVT engine.
I would add a cold air intake as well. Right now I am stock.

Not to sabotage the original poster...
I would be interested to know how much of a gain i would get if I moved the TB,UIM and LIM over to standard 2.5l on a 96SE. I might have access to a dead SVT engine.
I would add a cold air intake as well. Right now I am stock.

10 whp...maybe as high as 15whp.

Stock svt whp - 165-168
Stock Se manual whp - 143-145

I saw little to no difference with the SVT intake/tb. biggest change came with cams and SVT PCM/injectors.

I saw little to no difference with the SVT intake/tb. biggest change came with cams and SVT PCM/injectors.

I believe terry haines has stated the same, particularly advocating the SVT PCM and injectors as being important. Is it possible to use a SVT PCM on a pre-98?

So far in reading the posts I get:
In a nutshell.... swap:
UIM
LIM
TB
TB cable
Filter Box
Keep the original 2.5l injectors (don't use the SVT injectors)
Get new SVT gaskets

Y pipe?

So now I am searching for the results i.e. is it worth it? And it seems the feedback here is the improvement is minimal.

In a nutshell.... swap:
UIM
LIM
TB
TB cable
Filter Box
Get new SVT gaskets

Y pipe?

So now I am searching for the results i.e. is it worth it? And it seems the feedback here is the improvement is minimal.

i'd imagine so. without the use of the svt internals, injectors, pcm & tune, yes the gain will be minimal.

In a nutshell.... swap:
UIM
LIM
TB
TB cable
Filter Box
Get new SVT gaskets

Y pipe?

Y-pipe's are the same. So use your own. So are the exhaust manifolds.

You can if you wish..install the quasi dual catback exhaust off the svt on your car. Takes an extra hanger and maybe a hammer but it will fit. :)

Ditto. I would guess I maybe gained 5 whp. 15 whp is extremely generous. I don't have a before and after comparison but my old SE when it was naturally aspirated put down 148 whp with both SVT intake manifolds, SVT TB, BAT pipe, K&N filter, and SVT exhaust. Both manifolds and TB were bought new from Ford.

I might have dyno plots showing the difference, they have been posted before.

Yes i put them up in the thread i created for dyno graphs...but you took them down almost 1 month later. I never understood why u did that :shrug:

Just a question here. If you have access to a SVT engine, Why are you monkeying w/ removing the parts and making more work out of it? Buy the SVT and fix it.?!

In most cases, the engine is blown...too much money to invest fixing it...(most likely a bad 6th cly bearing) And it's too much time and effort to swap the 2 engines. Might as well take the good stuff since the only difference is from the heads and upward on the svt engine.

Yes i put them up in the thread i created for dyno graphs...but you took them down almost 1 month later. I never understood why u did that :shrug:

I never removed them. must have been on the webspace UCONN gave me and was turned off a few years after I graduated. that or cardomain doesn't allow linking any more.

anyway they are here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/729294/5 before and after a complete SVT intake swap.

Last edited:
Ditto. I would guess I maybe gained 5 whp. 15 whp is extremely generous. I don't have a before and after comparison but my old SE when it was naturally aspirated put down 148 whp with both SVT intake manifolds, SVT TB, BAT pipe, K&N filter, and SVT exhaust. Both manifolds and TB were bought new from Ford.

You are correct. My estimates included the exhaust included.

The whp gain from intakes and tb should be between 5-8whp gain. Coupled with the catback you can see a gain of 10whp - 15 max.

Back