• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Put The Troll on The Dyno Today...

Tex

Hard-core CEG'er
...and I was VERY pleasantly surprised. I was hoping for 310 WHP +/- 10WHP, and I ended up with 341 WHP and 376 WTQ. Correcting for driveline losses at 20% with the automatic, that puts me at 410 HP / 450 TQ at the flywheel. I'm happy with it. :laugh:

ScannedImage.jpg

Very nice, looks like fun.
I also hate when they scale hp/tq independently.
I forgot if you have a stick or auto but how does that chassis put the power down on street tires?
-J

Very nice, looks like fun.
I also hate when they scale hp/tq independently.
I forgot if you have a stick or auto but how does that chassis put the power down on street tires?
-J
Yeah, the graph could definitely have been done differently. Landscape orientation would be nice.

All GTs are 6-speed autos.

It puts the power down decently with OE 245/40-19 140AA Bridgestone Potenza RE-050A tires with a little spinning, but it is MAJORLY torque limited through the TCM in low gears and on downshifts. It's really starting to get on my nerves, and I'll likely get a PCM & TCM tune here in the near future. Feeling it downshift and just sit there for a split second before the computer will allow it to make any power is just annoying. The traction control will keep the spinning in check on acceleration, but you can hear them trying to break loose up to 80 MPH. I have no trouble leaving two 150' long black strips in front of my friends' house with the traction control turned off.

Now for the million dollar question.... Did you dyno Bill's car too:laugh:. Awesome dyno on your car though, hope I can get a ride in the G8 before you head back to TX.

Aaron

Now for the million dollar question.... Did you dyno Bill's car too:laugh:. Awesome dyno on your car though, hope I can get a ride in the G8 before you head back to TX.

Aaron

No, his insurance company won't let him cover the silver car anymore this year, because he added and dropped coverage too many times for their liking in a short period of time. :nonono:

When are you planning on coming to the mitten next? I'm gone next weekend, and graduating the 25th, but I haven't decided yet when I'm heading back south.

What I really need to do is get the car down to Vector Motorsports for a ECM/TCM tune before I leave. At this point, it really needs to have the torque management adjusted and given that all the before/after dynos I've seen from other G8s running their tunes have yielded 30-35 WHP gains, I'd be sitting pretty at ~465/500.

Please get that shifting thing fixed, I hate that damn delay!

LOL! It's called an automatic man. I'd be willing to bet that the time between me 'requesting' a downshift and the car actually downshifting is still less than manually shifting unless you are just mashing it into gear. Either way, I'm trying to schedule an appointment with VMS.

No, his insurance company won't let him cover the silver car anymore this year, because he added and dropped coverage too many times for their liking in a short period of time. :nonono:

When are you planning on coming to the mitten next? I'm gone next weekend, and graduating the 25th, but I haven't decided yet when I'm heading back south.

What I really need to do is get the car down to Vector Motorsports for a ECM/TCM tune before I leave. At this point, it really needs to have the torque management adjusted and given that all the before/after dynos I've seen from other G8s running their tunes have yielded 30-35 WHP gains, I'd be sitting pretty at ~465/500.

I will be in MI once my car is completed (hoping very soon). Definatly get the car tuned:cool:.

Aaron

i'm sorry...but how are you making 65 more hp and 85 more tq over stock again?
I honestly don't know. The Vararam was supposed to be good for 26 WHP, a number which I found hard to believe although the stock air intake was by far the worst design I had ever seen when I took it out and replaced it. Test conditions were perfect. So, I have 3 theories- Car is underrated from the factory, dyno was reading high (although nobody else seemed to think so when they got their heart breaking numbers), or I have a "factory freak." I was talking about the numbers with my friend who works in GM's small block group and he said that the numbers were a little high, but they do indeed get motors in their test lab that for whatever reason make 20 HP more than they should, even after they swap out manifolds heads, intakes, etc. I thought that was just a myth.

I honestly don't know. The Vararam was supposed to be good for 26 WHP, a number which I found hard to believe although the stock air intake was by far the worst design I had ever seen when I took it out and replaced it. Test conditions were perfect. So, I have 3 theories- Car is underrated from the factory, dyno was reading high (although nobody else seemed to think so when they got their heart breaking numbers), or I have a "factory freak." I was talking about the numbers with my friend who works in GM's small block group and he said that the numbers were a little high, but they do indeed get motors in their test lab that for whatever reason make 20 HP more than they should, even after they swap out manifolds heads, intakes, etc. I thought that was just a myth.

don't they test the motors without accessories and stuff?

anyway, i think there's 2 things going on here. first, dyno numbers mean nothing. now hold on, hear me out for a second...what i mean is you can have one dyno read one number, then another on the other side of town read something completely different. it's a tuning tool...so you get a baseline, add some mods, dyno again and measure your gains. but outside of the measured increase in power, the numbers aren't 100% accurate...

as far as the vararam being good for 26whp...i'm sure we all know how seriously we should take claims like that. lol. how can you even get a real ram air effect on a dyno with at best a fan blowing on the car?

anyway, back on topic...the second thing i think is going on here is the 20% drivetrain losses. i can't say i've ever dyno'd an automatic but at those speeds your torque converter should be locked up anyway.

just adding 20% to a (not trully accurate) number you put down just doesn't seem right.

either way i bet you a dollar your car is not making those numbers at the crank :blackeye::laugh:

Back