• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

pulling seats from junkyard

Ares

Veteran CEG'er
What a pita. Especially in this weather. But I'm giving it a shot and so far not going too well.

On the passenger side I got 5 of the six 10mm bolts out but the last rear bolt is stubborn as hell and somewhat stripped thanks to me.

The drivers side, I got off two rear bolts, others not budging and I can't even access the fronts very well because the seat is moved up.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get these things out? If I start hacking up the frame to get them out would I be able to use the parts/frame off my old seats to get them back together? I have power seats in my SE and I really want the leather seats from the junkyard out of a Mystique.

okay so I guess what I really need to know is... if I were to cut the rails to get the seats out of the junker, since I can't access the bolts, would I be able to remove the rails from the old seats and use those? Looking at them, I can't immediately see how the rails would come off. Anybody? :help:

I don't think there is an easy way to swap the rails. I would bring a small 12V battery to the yard w/ some wires w/ alligator clips, or even a stock power seat connector, and hook up the seat to power and move it to access the bolts. For the stripped ones, try a bolt extractor, or use a battery powered grinder or wheel to cut the heads off the stripped bolts.

I have a stock power seat connector with a wire whip on it you can borrow to hook up to a battery and move the seat. PM me with your addy if you want to borrow it. Or bring a battery to hook up under the hood if that will work......

Good ideas. I thought about bringing a battery to throw in it but the junction box had been pretty well torn apart of fuses and whatnot. Saw a bunch of fuses laying around inside too and thought the power might not get to the seat. I like the 12v battery with seat connector/alligator clip idea. Thanks guys. I'll let get back to you about the connector joe.

No prob, it's just sitting in my garage right now and works wonders when moving a seat. Just need to bring a battery and the connector I have.

i feel for ya dude.
what a btch to get those seats out.
i had such an episode at a u pull and after hours of profanity.........nothing.:nonono:

good luck.

Back