• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Project Resurrection...

Well I know its been a while since we updated this thread so...... After a break for the holidays last weekend we got the good motor in, UIM and LIM back on, front end all back on, all the wiring hooked back up, suspension hooked up, and after destroying the vac line then piecing them back together it was time to fire it up. Amazingly it fired up in about three cranks! Of course we started celebrating a little to soon. We had a fuel leak from around the injectors. Pulled the UIM and reseated all the injectors, put it back together again and of course destroyed the cold brittle vac lines AGAIN, (wiill replace with silicon) but had enough to fix it. Chris left to go back into the Marines the next day so as usual left me hanging. I got the vac lines back on and it fired right back up. this time no leaks! I let it idle for 20- 25 min, long enough for the temp to rise. So far no codes! Not warning lights! Only thing left is to fix brake line (just need to cut it, replace fitting and reflare), shift cable end should arrive in a couple of days( pop out the bushing and pop in) hope it doesnt heed adjusting, hook up the exhaust, recheck all the bolts and get it aligned.

I will get some pics up soon for anyone that is interested.

So I recieved one of the two white cable ends I ordered last week. Whoever said just a little thumb pressure could press out the bushing must have some bad a..... thumbs or play a lot of xbox. But I did find that the job was not to hard using the yoke and 5/16 adapter from a double flare tool.

Not sure if it helped alot but I removed the orange clip and spring from the cable end. I then nuked te end for 30-45 seconds ( time may vary) long enough to warm and soften the bushing but not hot enough that it would distort it or allow it to tear. I then inserted the adapter into the backside of the bushing, the feet on the yoke fit perfectly on each side of the front of the bushing while still getting a good hold. You then run the flare cone down onto the adapter and begin tighten it down. I did have to place a screw driver between the adapter and cone to square the adapter after a couple of turns. once it starts it pushes right out.

Now if I can push it back in to the old cable end by hand. I will probably warm it up again and hope it goes in without a fight. Its was 19 degrees in Dallas last night so I may take a couple of days to work out my thumbs with a little Call of Duty and let it warm up before trying.

well here are some pics.
DSC_0027..jpg
yes that is a floor jack on top of a dolly! not osha approved!
DSC_0033..jpg
just a few finishing touches.
DSC_0034..jpg
DSC_0047..jpg
someone was tired of helping!
DSC_0057..jpg
TIP of The DAY: before shutting the hood it is a god idea to make sure the pull cable is connected!!:eek: I now know how to pop open a hood with two screwdivers thru the grill. :laugh:

Test drive time
DSC_0062..jpg
DSC_0060..jpg
DSC_0059..jpg
DSC_0058..jpg
DSC_0066..jpg
The only problems we are having so far is a CEL 1131 which I need to research. I believe we used the old rotors instead of the new ones since there is a pedal flutter when you hit the brakes so the old ones may be warped. For just eyeballing it the alignment is real close but I will get that done soon. I will probably have him adjust the shift linkage, flush the brake lines and look for anything I missed. Overall not a bad job for 3 people who had never swapped a motor and with limited tools and knowledge. I have to give all of the credit to CEG and its members for all the info i was able to find that gave us the confidence to do it. Thanks!

about time! it sucks i couldn't be there for the initial drive...but its good to see all "my" hard work pay off! no you actually started helping after all the hard stuff was done...so i can't say that.

i was talking to hildie tonight and we got to thinking it took us about 7 months from start to finish! haha that is the worst turn around time ever! but if you think about it...we worked on it at most maybe two weeks out of every month. so that time could easily be cut in half. im just glad all went well with only the few minor things still needing to be addressed.

i can't wait to drive it when i come home!

about time! it sucks i couldn't be there for the initial drive...but its good to see all "my" hard work pay off! no you actually started helping after all the hard stuff was done...so i can't say that.

I am just glad you helped.

i can't wait to drive it when i come home!

Hmmm ? :rolleyes:

Back