• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Project Body-Swap now funded...

KAOS_3.0

Hard-core CEG'er
As you might know I'm planning to swap the drivetrain from my 98 3l se into a cougar with my insurance check. the following is a cross post from NECO:

so the insurance settlement check should be here in the next week or so and theres a few things I need to get straight in the mean time.

First of all being the fuel system. I'd like to get an escape fuel rail with a good pressure sending unit on it. I'm going to be pm'ing blackcoog for this but if somebody can beat whatever price he gives me feel free to pm me a price. I'm also going to need a fitting that will thread onto the end of the braided line on my npg fuel block that will fit into the returnless cougar fuel line.

Secondly, I'd like a hand finding a wiring diagram for the ignition connection on whatever year cougar I get so I can splice in the coilpack I'll be using. I think I have a labeled picture someplace with the info for the coil pack end of things.

thirdly, any input on how I can go about unlocking my Xcal3 would be awesome. I dont want to spend 70 bucks to get it unlocked when I have the friggin car it goes to in the back yard... I'll be calling joey at npg about this but extra input is much appreciated...

fourthly, how the heck do you guys gut the front precat when it has bends on both ends? link to a how to would be great here, preferably with pictures?

and lastly, while the engine is out again, I figure it's a good time to put on the 05 UIM I've had in storage forever. I think I may have misplaced the IAC for it so if somebody could help me out there that'd be amazing.

also, if the check I get and my rent permit, I'd love to at least get an early diff for it since I know my old diff is missing a few teeth already. remember I'm on a pretty tight budget here, the pay off for a 98 contour SE isnt that great...

Hey Kaos; how about posting up pictures of the new car.

Personally i would have a 3.0L Contour instead of a Cougar but still interested to see this roll off your drive (under its' own steam of course ). GL with this project ...G.

havent picked up a car yet but I'm looking at a few and have a very good idea of what the new car will be like. should get the check next week so then I'll be getting a car. I do need to get these issue sorted in the mean time though, I dont want to be without car for more than a few weeks...

I'm going to go outside and start pulling the engine, trans, and suspension as soon as the engine lift gets dropped off, and then I'll be prepping stuff like swapping on the 05 upper intake and redoing the vacuum lines and gutting the precats while I find the new car. then, once the engine comes out of that, I'll have to swap over that cars engine harness and PAS pump (mine was going), as well as splice in my coil pack before I actually drop it in. I may have to make some slight adjustments to my flowmaster exhaust too, I think the cougar is just a smidge shorter. we'll see. there will be a photo chronology of the process once I have good reason to go out in the cold. I need a heated garage bad...

if anybody has any advice on why my xcal says it's not the right car when I try to restore the stock tune that would be great too...

thirdly, any input on how I can go about unlocking my Xcal3 would be awesome....

from what i was reading the other week... anyone with the pro racer package could provide that service for you.

fourthly, how the heck do you guys gut the front precat when it has bends on both ends? link to a how to would be great here, preferably with pictures?....

Try using a wire coat hanger. Straighten it out... then put one end in your drill ..... then give it hell !!!

ok, well I got the infor for gutting the front cat... you have to cut a hole in the bottom of the front elbow and then seal it back up after gutting...

at any rate, I'm looking at three local cars for right around 2k so I should have a car as soon as the check gets here.

any more input guys?

thanks, btw, if anybody needs mil eliminators let me know my pops is going to be making mine since he's an EE and he has a fry's right by his house. I'll be taking orders. these wont be plug in's they'll be splice in with shrink tube. let me know what a set is worth to you guys...

I'm also back on the market for whatever year escape fuel rail is the shorty that looks stock on our cars. it has to have the pressure sender because almost all cougars are returnless.

I also need the wiring diagram for a 99 cougar engine harness. especially the ignition connector part...

thanks guys

Back