• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Programming a Keyless entry fob

eunos4

New CEG'er
Hi,

I just bought a 97 Contour with keyless entry and want to add a second remote. I bought one from the Ford dealer and was planning to program it using the instructions from this forum but after I removed the glovebox I could not find the transmitter module or the two pin connector. Am I just looking in the wrong area?? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks
Ian

you should see this if you lay down on the floor and look up behind the glove box.

are you possitive you have keyless entry?

DSC00878.JPG

I have a Ford key fob and the car has power door locks and windows. I removed the glove box and looked under the dash for a while. I saw wire bundles but no PCM. Here is a pic of my key and fob.

Attachments

• key.jpg
    key.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 0
well that isn't a factory contour/mystique key fob. what trim level car do you have?

power locks where standard and I believe power windows where optional for a limited amount of time. they have no bearing on if the vehicle would have keyless entry.

its a GL. It has a red light just below the left drivers side vent that blinks when the alarm is on. The light is mounted in a piece of plastic that looks stock.

Looking at your key you don't have the chip that you would need for pats, so idk what alarm you have, or where the fob came from or is used for, but that sure doesn't look like stock keyless entry. Does the fob work to open the locks?? I've never seen one like that before.

sounds like possible an aftermarket or dealer installed alarm ... I would have to say gl's typically wouldn't have keyless entry.

my '97 GL had keyless entry from the factory. The keyfob in the picture looks nothing like the one that came with my car. My fob has a panic button as well as a trunk release.....so in all it had 4 buttons!

Yeah, when I first got the car I thought it was an aftermarket alarm as well but it does lock and unlock the doors and the fob does have the Ford emblem on it. The dealer that I bought the new fob from used the VIN to find a compatible part. I guess I am going to have to make a trip to the dealer to see if they can install it or at least take the part back.

Plus the new one that was ordered only has 3 buttons, one for lock, unlock, and panic.

"I had that on same remote on my 97 taurus GL the control was under the stearing colum and looked like it had been installed at the dealer.....

the way mine worked was the left button for the unlock/lock and the other button for the trunk and if you held both down that would be the panic mine has stickers on the door windaws that said "Ford Antitheft" also my car would not start with out you unlocking the doors with the remote.

good luck I don't know how to ad another remote you could try the thread on adding remotes but your controller is a black box on the drivers side I found it when I installed my remote start...

Frosty -- PATS is not associated with keyless entry units in any fashion.

My first Contour had a dealer-installed keyless entry. It was a Ford-branded "Code Alarm" unit.
Your remote definitely looks like a Code Alarm unit as well - at least, it's the exact same remote style as my parents' Subaru dealer-installed Code Alarm keyless.

My control unit was tucked behind the driver's side kick panel, near the fuel cutoff switch, same as PurdySVT. It was spliced to wires under the driver's door area; one wire traveled to the ignition for ignition lock. (so yes, if you also had PATS, you would have two separate ignition lockouts on the car :crazy: ) It makes a soft click when locking/unlocking, which you can use to find it.

As for as programming it, good luck, but maybe the dealer can have some help.
I used to have the instruction manual but have misplaced it.

keys2.jpg

Frosty -- PATS is not associated with keyless entry units in any fashion.
I know, but he said something about a blinking red light that looked stock. I was associating that with PATS since if you have PATS you would have the chip in the key and the blinking red light. I wasn't sure what he had except that it must have been a dealer installed accessory/alarm since the key did not appear to be PATS equipped. Thats all I was getting at.

oh, ok ..sorry. I misinterpreted. :)
This is what my car had.
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o150/rouar/DSC01233Small.jpg

eunos - I spoke to my dad. He has the user manual, since he installed the Ford keyless entry into his Miata. Next weekend I will get the manual from him.
Still don't know if it is the same unit as yours, but it's a start. Try asking the dealer and see if they know more about your alarm.

Hey guys thanks for the help.

Here is a pic of the light on my dash. I don't know if it is stock or not but it blinks with the alarm. I didn't get a chance to poke around under the dash today, but I will check it out tomorrow.

Roaur - thanks for talking to your Dad. Hopefully its the same alarm.

Attachments

• DSC01515.jpg
    DSC01515.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 1
that is not a stock light. if the car had traction control that is where the override button would be.

I have the manual, will scan it sometime soon.

For future CEG reference: These instructions cover the "System 1" Keyless Entry module, dealer-installed option. They do not apply to the factory keyless entry.

Programming Transmitters
1. Open the driver's door.
2. Turn the vehicle ignition to ON position.
3. Locate programming button. Press in and hold.
4. After 10-15 seconds, the horn will sound 3 times. Release button.
5. Press "LOCK" on the new remote transmitter. Siren will chirp 1 time. Repeat this step for additional remotes (up to four).
6. Turn vehicle ignition OFF. Test remote transmitter(s) for proper operation.

The programming button on my car was a small silver button located next to the fuel cutoff switch, in the driver's side footwell near the door.

Instead of starting a new thread, I thought id just post in this one.

Does anyone have a picture of the keyless entry receiver that is behind the glove box?

Back