• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

problem with the tour

T Hudson Jr

CEG'er
95 Zetec contour.

It drives and starts fine but if it sits long enough in idle(neutral or drive) it will get really rough then die. What could the problem be???:shrug:

could maybe be spark plug wires or the plugs themselves. mine had a similar problem a few years ago and that worked for me.

when the idle begins to act up, does the RPM oscillate?

Check TPS( for oxidation at connectors) or your throttle body needs some cleaning. Use this as an excuse to sea foam your engine. Mine's starting to do the same thing and the last fix was a good cleaning of the TB.

Sort of. it runs good for about 45 seconds. then it starts to get real rough, then it gets better at a lower rpm( lower than idle), then rough again, then it dies.

then most likely your problem is your TPS(right by the TB) or the flopper thingie in the throttle body. Take the plenum out and see if the "disc" is moving freely and ever gets stuck. You just need to clean the TB.

How old is your fuel filter? I might look into changing that too. Any CELs yet?

Check for vacuum leaks.

How old is your fuel filter?
I'm not sure how old it is.

Any CELs yet?
Yes.... but when i try to pull codes it won;t give me any.

Check for vacuum leaks.
i have one for sure.
IMG_1332-1.jpg

this isn't my engine but it's near this area(yellow circle). my engine has stock intake.

that's not the vacuum hose and not even close to where the hose is routed through. I don't know what that is since the engine in the pic is a pre98...looks like a harness.

Post 98, the vacuum hose goes underneath the intake manifold right from the brake booster.

And yes, if you still think that you have a vacuum leak, it's a good idea to fix.

Nvm: my reading skills are retarded, you have a '95., not sure where the vac hose goes..

there is some kind of hoses underneath the harness. a mechanic who knows these cars very well told that i have a vacuum leak there.

i will try to get a pic of the hose and whatever it connects to.

I had a CEL on and it did the same thing it was O2 sensor, 1996 ztech

Back