• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Price Gouging Mechanics and some kudos

Well if any of you ever visit Branson, Mo and in need of a good HONEST mechanic........you'll find me at the only repair shop on the main strip, 76 Tire & Auto. Any body who proves CEG membership gets a healthy discount and possibly a free cup of coffee......unless that free coffee is constrewed as ripping you off!!!!!

I love how people complain about "mechanics ripping them off" when in fact the mechanics have nothing to do with it. Where I work, we charge $100 an hour as our labor rate- yes, that's expensive, I know- and we catch flak from the customers who resent the high price. They seem to think that because they are charged $100 an hour for the work, we get paid $100 per hour. Yeah right. Even the shop foreman barely makes one fifth of that. And rarely do we ever get a thank you, let alone a tip, from a customer whose car issues we just resolved. Instead, they leave angry and with the notion that it's the mechanic who ripped them off.

Let me tell you, mechanics do not make much money, and they're not the ones ripping you off. The shop makes all the money, and sometimes we get stuck on a job that takes longer than what we get paid for due to rust, dirt, or something along those lines. In all honesty, the labor times charged are not nearly enough for 90% of repairs. Most guys in my profession work 45 or more hours per week, and only get paid for 40 because of that system. Chances are, the mechanic is the one getting ripped off, not the customer. And it's the shop that's making out big time. Keep that in mind next time you have a complaint about labor times or the cost of car repairs.

You can't get ripped off if you DIY...

I was also turned on to a guy locally here who's in business for himself, who's pretty cool and charged me a decent rate to fix my tranny when it was leaking out the axle seals. He also went the extra mile and fixed a few things that I didn't explicitly tell him about...

I have been quite lucky. I have been screwed royal a couple of times, but for the most part, I have had techs that take pride in their work, and are honest and fair.

And when a bad one crops up (telling me a ball joint was bad when I took it in for an alignment after installing a new control arm with a new ball joint in it :nonono: ), luckily, I know enough to catch them.

And for you Ottawa-area CEGers, Rollie at Campbell Ford is the man to ask for. As straight an arrow as you'll meet!

Back