• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Preferred brand for strut mounts?

ditto here
ordered Monroe's online from Advance Auto
received 2 correct marked boxes but inside one box was a pre 98 bearing with attached plastic ring and clips.

No local stock to replace and car already apart so what I did was take an exacto knife and very carefully cut the ring off the bearing. Ensured all edges smooth and good before installing.

except the bearing have different inner diameters and are not interchangeable

except the bearing have different inner diameters and are not interchangeable

Really? I know I looked everything over very carefully first. I knew once I started cutting I wouldn't be able to return or exchange. Maybe what I got boxed wrong then wasn't a pre '98 bearing but another. After cutting it was identical to other bearing. Been installed 6 months ~ 8,000 miles. No issues

Really? I know I looked everything over very carefully first. I knew once I started cutting I wouldn't be able to return or exchange. Maybe what I got boxed wrong then wasn't a pre '98 bearing but another. After cutting it was identical to other bearing. Been installed 6 months ~ 8,000 miles. No issues

I dunno. pretty sure we measured a difference.

I ended getting some Monroe's from PepBoy's eventhough I hate them. They had a 10% off coupon on the website so all 4 mounts came up to around $175. I think the fronts (part #9346077) were $56 and the rears (part #9346060) were $36 before the discount.

I'll be putting the rears on this weekend and hopefully the fronts next week. I'll post any issues.

OK, so quick question for everyone. I'll be doing my suspension when my koni sport kit gets here next week, and I want to make sure it's done right, including strut mounts and sway bar bushings. My contour has 107,000 miles on it, original suspension parts.

1. What am I looking for with the front/rear mounts to tell if they are worn? I know the bearings will show wear, but how do I check the mount?

2. What is the best grease to pack the bearings with? Links? :laugh:

3. What is the "Strut Bearing Plate Insulator" that Rock Auto lists? It looks like a front strut mount, did they screw up, or is it a different part?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1303962&parttype=10232

4. I have an 98 LX, which is a 17mm rear sway bar (measured with a caliper), but the only Energy Suspension that is sold localy is the 18mm one. Will this one work or do I need to order something smaller, like one of the universal bushings they offer, or the 16mm from BAT? What part# do I need if I go with the uinversal ES?

Sorry to partially go off topic, but i figured this would be better than creating a new thread and clogging up the forum.

Chas.

Last edited:
Anybody have an opinion on using new "Ford" strut mounts. I seem to remember my first csvt having this same problem and am wondering if Ford's mounts are any good. I too am going to be doing struts next week. :mad:

Back