• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Powder Coating anyone?

Since I just finished my intake manifold I figure I could toss up some pics...

Tyler you should through up some pictures of that throttle body I did so people can see how the candy red turns out.

chrome base...
chromedbase.jpg

this has three coats of gold as I wanted it fairly dark.
goldfinish.jpg

i'll have to dig the pics back up i just deleted them. i took them with my dads crappy dying camera so they're not that great anyways

i'll have to dig the pics back up i just deleted them. i took them with my dads crappy dying camera so they're not that great anyways

Cool.

Hey you think you'll be able to stop by my place tomorrow with those valve covers? I'd like to try and button the car back up this weekend if I can. The old teg needs some love the thing shakes like mad going down the highway now. So it be nice to be able to drive the tour while that thing is down. I'd like to avoid having three dead cars in the driveway :laugh: Although the Camaro might be beyond dead so maybe that doesn't count.

Those look great Mike. How long does it take to powdercoat and for it to cure to the point it can be reinstalled?

I'd be interested in doing my UIM and TB and engine mounts.

the finish on that upper doesnt look very smooth. maybe its just the pics though:shrug:

Those look great Mike. How long does it take to powdercoat and for it to cure to the point it can be reinstalled?

I'd be interested in doing my UIM and TB and engine mounts.

Well the longest part of the deal is to clean off your intake manifold. Bead-blasting the finish off of the UIM takes forever and a day. If you have it cleaned off prior to getting it to me... depending on what color you want it would take roughly two hours tops.

the finish on that upper doesnt look very smooth. maybe its just the pics though:shrug:

That's because the surface finish of the intake is cast and therefore isn't smooth to begin with. Had I taken a grinder to it and smoothed it out it would look better.

i understand its casted, im talking about like the spot on the center runner looks like a filled in chip or something. like i said though its probably just the pic. i would like to see more like in better light or in the sun

i understand its casted, im talking about like the spot on the center runner looks like a filled in chip or something. like i said though its probably just the pic. i would like to see more like in better light or in the sun

Ah I see what your talking about. You kind of caught me off guard with your first post... I was like I thought he would have known these were cast intakes... he has polished a few in his day. So anyway no that's just the picture. That mark is not actually there... however I wonder what caused that to show up like that.

So it's looking like I should have everything back together by Thurs now since I wasn't able to get the valve covers finished tonight. Way more cleaning then I was expecting to get the valve covers prep'd for powder. I only was able to get the front one prep'd before I went out for dinner tonight. Hopefully between the next few days I'll have time to finish what I started.

Very cool man - I like that you take a chance on the color combo and it is turning out good. Nice job!

Looks good Mike.

What would you charge to power coat 9 small steel pieces. All of them are smaller than half a sheet of paper and they have been powder coated already but have some chipping.

I think a fair price would be a supercharger kit installed. :shrug:

I think a fair price would be a supercharger kit installed. :shrug:

lol. well if there is chipping then the parts will have to be re-blasted to make a smooth starting surface anyways. parts with sharp edges are usually prone to chipping.... its kinda a tough one

Looks good Mike.

What would you charge to power coat 9 small steel pieces. All of them are smaller than half a sheet of paper and they have been powder coated already but have some chipping.

The next few weekends are crazy for me with graduation parties. If you want to swing by my place during the week sometime in the late afternoon or maybe meet me for lunch (you work in the Plymouth/Maple Grove area don't you?) I can take a look to see how much work I'd have into them. If you can have them blasted for me it should be a quick turn around, otherwise I can blast them too.. but that is much more time consuming. However if you can do without them for a few weeks I'm sure I can work on them here and there during the weekdays to get them finished up for you. Shoot me a PM and we can discuss it further if you wish.

Very cool man - I like that you take a chance on the color combo and it is turning out good. Nice job!

Yea... I wasn't so sure with the gold intake... but it turned out ok.

I might blast it and try two layers of chrome with one or two layers of gold. To get more of a reflective finish. Much like a brass door knob, but it might be hard to pull off with that cast finish. I might have to polish the hell out of it to accomplish that look I think. In which case I wouldn't even need the chrome base.

Whad did you end up using for the t-red? Base chrome and then a red translucent?

Whad did you end up using for the t-red? Base chrome and then a red translucent?

Exactly what you had told me before... one coat chrome, two coat translucent red. Turns out pretty nicely. With just one coat of red it's to pinkish for me.

cool, I really want to do that color on valve covers and UIMs some more but I don't know if the longevity is there with the high temps and candy colors..... I guess I could just let everyone know that I can't warranty it.

The UIM I did turned out really nice but man was that hard work to get the powder in all the knooks and crannies. See mine doesn't have any "blow by" with the chrome showing through in the corners, that shiz is on there thick!:
10-27-08010.jpg

10-27-08011.jpg

10-27-08012.jpg

cool, I really want to do that color on valve covers and UIMs some more but I don't know if the longevity is there with the high temps and candy colors..... I guess I could just let everyone know that I can't warranty it.

The UIM I did turned out really nice but man was that hard work to get the powder in all the knooks and crannies. See mine doesn't have any "blow by" with the chrome showing through in the corners, that shiz is on there tk!:hic
10-27-08010.jpg

10-27-08011.jpg

10-27-08012.jpg

i wants........:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

Back