• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Porter Cable

Goonz SVT

Hard-core CEG'er
Okay so I decided that I really need an orbital polisher/buffer. I know Porter Cable is one thats out there and spoken highly off, but are there any other kinds out there that arent so harsh on the wallet? Thanks

black and decker makes a nice orbital not that pocket harsh prob. 1/2 price of porter cable

its the price and the fact that you gotta buy all the accessories that go with it like the pads and etc..

I've heard some good reviews on Makitas and DeWalts. Just need to shop around. Lowe's had a big closeout on PC's just a few months back :shrug:

The PC that every brags about is great for moderate swirls and small blemishes but it won't do much else. I have one and love it, but want to move up to a rotary since the PC won't fix some of my more moderate scratches and scuffs.

There's plenty out there that will do much more for less money, but you risk harming the paint. Have fun :laugh:

I can see you spending over $100 either way you go with all the accessories. :shrug: What are PC's these days, like $140 before acc.?

What are PC's these days, like $140 before acc.?

A quick Google search has them listed at CoastalTool.com for $109.00.

The PC is definately worth the price. Like the saying goes "you get what you pay for." Save a little $$$ by buying a cheaper polisher (ie black n decker) and your results will suffer. You detail cars, correct? One or two details will pay for the PC and all of the pads you need. I currently have about 15 pads, one for each of the different products I use. The PC is a completely different beast than the DeWalt, Makita products. For a beginner at machine polishing, the PC is a no brainer. Very safe and pretty effective at removing swirls and applying/removing polishes and protectants.

Okay so I decided that I really need an orbital polisher/buffer. I know Porter Cable is one thats out there and spoken highly off, but are there any other kinds out there that arent so harsh on the wallet? Thanks

the PC 7424, best way to go.

In fact...
http://cgi.ebay.ca/PORTER-CABLE-6-H...ryZ71345QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

now add to that

5 inch backing plate ($15)

and your choice of pads (about $10 /each)

recommended is probably the orange, white and black ones by lake country :). Possibly the blue one for toppers.

that still keeps you at about $120 - $130. You still have your zaino kit right? :p

Back