• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

polish removal problem

SVTJON87

Hard-core CEG'er
ok so i compounded and polished my hood. but i have allot of rock chips and the polish got stuck in them. now it looks like i have twice as many chips because i cant get the polish out. i tried scrubbing with 50/50 alcohol/ water. but i just cant seem to get into the chip. i did go ahead and seal the hood as i didn't want it un protected. so my next move is going to strip off the sealent and maybe try washing it a few times with dawn, or i wonder if my clay bar would get it out. what are your thoughts? thanks.

ok so i compounded and polished my hood. but i have allot of rock chips and the polish got stuck in them. now it looks like i have twice as many chips because i cant get the polish out. i tried scrubbing with 50/50 alcohol/ water. but i just cant seem to get into the chip. i did go ahead and seal the hood as i didn't want it un protected. so my next move is going to strip off the sealent and maybe try washing it a few times with dawn, or i wonder if my clay bar would get it out. what are your thoughts? thanks.

I've got the same problem on my wife's car. It's dark blue, so the residue really shows. I searched autopia.org and all I saw is to use alcohol/water (which you already tried) or quick detailer. You could always use a q-tip or toothpic, but that could be brutal if you had tons of chips.

NEVER wash with Dawn. Extremely abrasive chemical. It's made to remove junk from plates not clear coat from cars. Big no-no.
The 50/50 mixture will be enough to remove any remaining wax after you clay.

As for the chips, I'm not too sure. You can always use a touch up paint to fill in the chips.

well i have polish stuck in the chips. thats my problem. as far as the dish soap. theres mixed feelings on it. me i have used it with no problems. i have only used to remove old wax before i clay. but i would NEVER use it more than once or twice a year. its very very very hard on plastic and rubber. i have yet to like it touch that. anyway I'm going to remove the sealent with the 50/50 then see if my clay bar will get the stuff left in the chips.

You didn't say what kind of cleaning implement you used when trying to get out the compound. Have you tried using an old toothbrush? Try wetting the toothbrush (a soft one) with the water/alcohol mixture and see if that works.

100% on te soft bristles toothbrush, but make sure it's soft bristled. Find a cheap family pack, theyre also superb and cheaper for detailing the inside of you're car in all of the little nooks and crannies.

I never saw the use in dawning the car. The clay bar should pretty much remove anything left on your paint and help remove any thing stuck in your clear coat.

You will see that alot of people complain about the plastic trim on the car, Dawn drys it out and causes it to fade. Especially the two black pieces next to the windshield and by the mirrors.

As long as your careful around the trim, I guess it would be OK, but if you're clay barring thats stripping your car anyway, whats the purpose??

Last edited:
Back