• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Plastic welding

kcobra

Veteran CEG'er
I am picking up my 3rd Contour tomorrow and my first SVT. I am going to be swapping the mangled rear bumper out for a different stock bumper. The bumper I am swapping out has 2 cracks in it. I am going to use the mesh and 3m epoxy on the back side but can I use a plastic welder to fill in and smooth over the crack on the front side of it?
IMG_0477..JPG

I had a SHO bumper plastic welded about 2 years ago. I had tore it nearly in two pieces from top to bottom, right down the center of the bumper too. It only cost me $40 to have that plastic welded, by a pro. That was retail, not some kind of 'I knew the guy' deal. Yes if you looked at he back side, there was a bead of plastic along that tear seam, but from the front side no one ever noticed. It looked like new again.

Just saying, you might want to atleast see the cost before writing it off.

I have decided just to repair the rear bumper that's already on the car. Its crack is in between the exhaust cutouts. The rest of the bumper is already silver. Because I hate that center piece being body colored I am gonna have to paint it back to satin black anyway.

Back