• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Plan B. Homemade turbo? quick questions

turbo_008.jpg

So that is how it is done. I was wondering in all the pics that I have seen how it exactly got to the exhaust manifold. Looks easier to install that what I thought.

Well if that's case I'd look for a turbo T-Bird or a SVO mustang. It uses a T3 60trim I believe.

Not really worth it. The T3 compressor, even the 60 trim, is really wheezing it out to get much above 225-250hp . . . That's a lot of work for not much power gain, lol. Even if someone decided to run one, it wouldn't last very long at all.

If you're dead set on an easily obtained junkyard setup, I'd suggest finding a smaller turbo and using two of them, though you'll have to get creative to package them. The Volvo's had smaller T3's, and some of the Chryslers had a smaller IHI I think. The simple fact is there haven't been any 80s-90s turbo cars that have a single turbo that's a good match for the 2.5L duratec and are cheap in a junkyard. Though, a GM 6.5L diesel turbo might be good for a 3.0L . . .

i was actually thinking more like a "homemade" kit not so much a junkyard turbo. i would buy a new turbo or a good used one sized to suit the 3L. i just was wondering where i could start or what turbos i could use to test with. thanks for the input guys. i've got till early spring to think about it then i gotta get moving. hopefully joey gives me the option i'm looking for.

Back