• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Pivot Pin Bushing??????

I actually broke the ball that the cable goes to on the bottom of my B&M shifter. Luckily the previous owner had the original shifter in with all the paperwork he had saved. But, in replacing the shifter with the original, I broke a bushing that goes on the end of the "pivot pin". I actually think it controls how the shifter goes from left to right. Funny looking bushing for sure. Looks like a normal plastic bushings, but it has bendable ears on it that hold it in place. Ford wants to sale me a new shifter for $219. No thanks Ford. Does anyone know of a supplier for these? All help is appreciated. Thanks

I know exactly what you are talking about, and I am not sure if someone else has come up with an acceptable solution. Looking at that bushing, if you only broke the ears off it, you may be able to drill a hole in the shaft and add washers & a cotterpin to hold it in place. I would reuse as much of the bushing as you can, as half of it goes into the plastic shifter frame.

I installed my short throw again this evening. For now, I just wrapped a zip tie around it. Seems to be fine so far, I will look more into it and may drill it like you suggested. I can't believe that I can't find one of those bushings. Ford had to have a supplier for them at some point. Mine currently has 2 ears left. Hopefully with the zip tie, that will get me through for a little while. Thanks for the suggestion.

On a side note...I also broke the little ball off on my B&M as well a few months back. I took it to an engine shop and they welded it back on so that its not going anywhere. That used to oonly happen to OBX and no-name short shifters. Kinda surprised that it would happen to 2 B&Ms...

I was shocked too. I was scared to death it was a cable. Now I'm kind of afraid to slam any gears because I worry about the cables now. Guess I need to go ahead and order some before one breaks.

No Title

This? or the white one? Either way I have both

Attachments

• photo12729.jpg
    photo12729.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 0
On another side note. After installing the B&M again, I wrapped a zip tie around the cable because it seemed very loose where it goes onto the ball at the bottom of the shifter. But, now when I go from 3rd to 4th, it is weird. Going to be hard to explain. But, when I pull it out of 3rd and into neutral, going to 4th, it goes into 4th fine, but it kinda pulls toward 2nd as it goes into 4th. Is the zip tie affecting something and causing this problem? not real familiar with the shift cables in these things. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If you take it apart in the future a small socket pressed on the end "flare" spreads the lock tabs without breaking any. Just pull the pin out of the plastic from the right side.

I got the ears opened fine. Then I was an idiot and tried to pry the bushing out as opposed to knocking the pin through. Now I know better. Got one on the way and this mistake won't happen again. Thanks for everyone's help. Still wondering if that bushing has a particular name. Never seen anything like it.

Back