• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Pine sap

clay bar! ;) How often do you wax/seal the paint? If it's practically embedded and won't wash off then definitely clay bar it.

Last edited:
I tried the clay bar and it didnt work. I have some big globs of sap and the bar didnt even phase them. What else can I use? I have some wax and grease remover left over. Would f*** up the paint or not?

Hot water. Try to soften up the sap. Otherwise, you can try mineral spirits, or rubbing compound as a last resort. If you're able to get the sap off, definitely go back over the area with the clay bar to remove anything left over.

I detailed a car this w/n w/ sap on the roof. I've always used rubbing alcohol w/ no ill-effects. Cover the bottle w/ a rag over your finger. Wet the rag, and then place the rag/your finger on the sap. Let soak for a couple of seconds and then lightly wipe. Shoud take care of it!

I'm pretty sure Goo Gone removes sap pretty well. I use it to get sap off my hands if I've been handling sappy wood. It's citrus based. We've used it to do the knauberizing with no ill effects to the paint (granted the glue was nothing like sap, but still, the citrus didn't hurt the paint).

I'm pretty sure Goo Gone removes sap pretty well. I use it to get sap off my hands if I've been handling sappy wood. It's citrus based. We've used it to do the knauberizing with no ill effects to the paint (granted the glue was nothing like sap, but still, the citrus didn't hurt the paint).

ditto. My fiance works with bridge engineers and when they redo the lines on the road if someone is dumb and runs over them and gets paint on their call, they are told to use goo gone or goof off.

sap is kinda like engine oil. It has oil like properties so thin it with heat (dryer) and hot water. Then use soap, goof-off, goo gone (it's for sticky stuff) or a clay bar after you've melted most of it away and then most of it should be out of there.

Last edited:
I removed 1yr old tree sap off of a 06 Buick last weekend using a small dab of gasoline on a water soaked brillo pad.

Be careful but with 2 coats of wax after the fact its perfect like it never existed.

TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK.
but if it bothers you so much you would need to paint it in the end so I'd say its a good last ditch effort before forking out $$$ for paint.

Rain-X Bug & Tar Pre-Wash Ge.l I was skeptical at first, but it really works well. Took off tar from my rims, and took off tree sap as well that I had on my roof.

Had a ton on my van once, and I found a couple solutions.
one was a razor blade(Risky, but it was an old van)

the other was just pure luck, it was freezing cold out
and I scratched at the sap with my fingernail and it popped off.
so I'm guessing that a can of compressed air(keyboard dust cleaner)
when turned upside down, blows some cold CO2.. you might be able
to freeze it off... not sure the affect it could have on paint.

Otherwise, warm soapy water, then claybar....

Turtle Wax makes a bug and tar remover. I use it all the time before I wash the car. I have always been satisfied with the results. Highway splattered bugs, pine sap, road tar, you name it. With pine sap, I had to put some effort into it. It's on sale at Carquest for 2.49, there's an ad for it in the middle of the June 2007 issue of Car and Driver.

You know what's incredible for sap? Denatured alcohol. Just put some on a terry cloth and it will come right off.

If Kitty Dukakis shows up, hide the bottle at once.

Well I tried rubbing alcohol It didnt work that great so on to the next one to try. The sap has been on it for a while so I have to rub kinda hard so its leaving scratches on my paint I did one spot and that was enough of that time to try something else.

Thanks

You really shouldn't have to rub much if you let the rubbing alcohol dissolve the sap. This could take 30-60 seconds of soaking to happen. After that, a light wipe should take the remainder of the sap off. Follow up w/ a clay bar to remove the rest.

I've not tried rubbing alcohol. Denatured alcohol can be had at any hardware store. Its also great for removing excess wax or compound. I was very impressed with the ease with which it got rid of the sap. No scratching of the paint took place, and I think the sap had been on there a few days, anyway.

Back