• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Photoshop request/ Contest

To be honest I did give the chop some extra sheen, because the sky is overcast and it really didn't look that great without the reflections.

Kinda hard to do, actually looks kinda brown. Why don't you just talk someone into not washing their car for a while and see what it looks like...:shrug:

I like the satin black look personally, but on a Contour..............:nonono:

DSCF0175_edit.jpg

When are you doing the paint job, I wanna see results. My paint is cracked all over and will flake off soon and i may likely follow suite with some type of black.

Hello :D

It will be pretty hard to get it as flat as you want it with a single stage paint. I think that will be the biggest part of the entire deal. Flattening out the paint as much as you want will weaken the final finish. I think you could get all the paint material for about $300(without jambs) then add the thinner/flatner, primer, bondage, and masking materials. My trailer (1/2 of a contour) was about $200 in single stage paint.

Are you using an MSU product?

I want to see you do it honestly, just to see what it would look like.

BTW, if another CEGr sees your car somewhere with this paint job you might find something like this on it:

chalkhotdog.jpg

now I don't know how the hell you paint a car where you come from, but we don't like that kind of talk 'round here...

:ponder::laugh:

I know a couple years back a gallon of t-red was upwards of $300. I have a hard time believing changing the color on the entire car is going to be much cheaper...not to mention if you have any plans of selling it, this idea of a paint job will cut the car's value in half. At least for anyone other than some kid looking for a cool car...

I dont know about the op, but i will definitly be the last owner of my car. So I dont care how much it's worth. My paint is so badly cracked, I doubt it will go another year without falling off or rusting. I wont be doing flat black but im looking into a rattle can paint job. If im not satisfied with the outcome of my test door than i wont do it, but if i am. why not? mine isnt a SVT so i aint paying more for a pro paintjob than my car is worth.

Hello :D

It will be pretty hard to get it as flat as you want it with a single stage paint. I think that will be the biggest part of the entire deal. Flattening out the paint as much as you want will weaken the final finish. I think you could get all the paint material for about $300(without jambs) then add the thinner/flatner, primer, bondage, and masking materials. My trailer (1/2 of a contour) was about $200 in single stage paint.

Are you using an MSU product?

I want to see you do it honestly, just to see what it would look like.

the product im using is already flattened hence the name hot rod black. i would not mess with flattening my own paint. this set up is ready to go.

if things keep lookin as they are now, the car will be flat black. unless i can get a good price on painting the two bumpers, trunk, rear 1/4 panel and rocker panels for less than $500.

thanks for the photoshops

if things keep lookin as they are now, the car will be flat black. unless i can get a good price on painting the two bumpers, trunk, rear 1/4 panel and rocker panels for less than $500.

if you're working on the car & squirting the black, why can't you just shoot those few panels w/ the t-red & call it a day? it should be cheaper than a color change no matter how cheap the black paint is.

Go to your local Tractor Supply Co. Pick up a can of Satin Black Tractor Enamel and shoot it with a gun. Single stage and hard as nails. If you want "Hot Rod" Black, thats what they do.

You really need the whole package to pull the color off. If cant support it, dont do it. I will look like cheap POS.

Maybe I will wrap mine.

I dont know about the op, but i will definitly be the last owner of my car. So I dont care how much it's worth. My paint is so badly cracked, I doubt it will go another year without falling off or rusting. I wont be doing flat black but im looking into a rattle can paint job. If im not satisfied with the outcome of my test door than i wont do it, but if i am. why not? mine isnt a SVT so i aint paying more for a pro paintjob than my car is worth.

Roll it.

You know, John Deere Blitz Black is $30 a gallon and can take a world of abuse before it starts to look like crap. I'm not saying you don't know what you're talking about, but yeah you can pay top dollar if you want for a trusted brand of paint...but for $30 you can't go wrong.

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/images/gallery/auctions06/5939.jpg

Go to your local Tractor Supply Co. Pick up a can of Satin Black Tractor Enamel and shoot it with a gun. Single stage and hard as nails. If you want "Hot Rod" Black, thats what they do.

You really need the whole package to pull the color off. If cant support it, dont do it. I will look like cheap POS.

Maybe I will wrap mine.

Yeah, I suggested that and it apparently didn't sink in.

Yeah, I suggested that and it apparently didn't sink in.

john deere blitz black and hot rod black are essentially the same kind of product.

i'm thinking about shooting the car t red, but it will show imperfections much more than the flat black will. I'm still contemplating it.
if i get it painted t red i will have someone do it for me

john deere blitz black and hot rod black are essentially the same kind of product.

I know, but I don't know how much the Hot Rod Black is going to cost. Hence why I suggested the JD BB in the first place. It's around $30 a gallon and a very durable paint.

i'm thinking about shooting the car t red, but it will show imperfections much more than the flat black will.

that's backwards thinking...the flat will show just as many, if not more

do you have any friends or relatives that know of any shops? You may be able to come across someone that would be willing to shoot it for you if you handle the work, maybe

check your pm's

hhm-6400 "hot rod black" is about $46 a gallon including the hardener and reducer.

I have a neghbor and an uncle who both do their own auto paint. the neighbor only does his own cars, and doesnt seem to want to spray the car for me. i would have to talk to my uncle and see how he feels about spraying the t- red for me if i go that route.

as far as imperfections, i meant more of the wet sanding portion of the painting, as well as getting the clear to lay down nicely.

Back