• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Perf snows or regular snows?

Klasse Act

I pee with gloves on!
I had both on my old CSVT, but the first set (Yoke Guardex 600's) were non-perf snows and worked great that year (winter of 2000-01). Then I ended up getting rid of them to my wifes cousin, selling my E1's, getting a set of aftermarket rims and then bought a set of steelies, wrapping them in P205/60/15 Michelin "Pilot" Alpins. A perf snow tire w/ an "H" speed rating and they were great tires, but that year didn't have us getting alot of snow so I wasn't able to tell how good they were in real snow. So my question to you guys is this, those of you who've had PERFORMANCE snow tires and drove them in real snow how were they? Also, I'm leaning towards the P205/50/17 instead of the P215/45/17 because its always better to go with a tire more narrow, but is that 10mm really going to make that much of a difference.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Michelin "Pilot" Alpin PA2's, but the Hankook "Ice Bears" look pretty good too and are $100.00 cheaper a set and are also "perf" snows w/ a "V" rating. If I go with regular snows I'm leaning towards the Michelin "X-Ice". Comments and suggestions are very welcomed!

My brother purchased Blizzak LM-22s (or 25s, can't remember exactly) last winter for his SVT and he had no issues all winter. He lives in IL, for a weather reference. I'm in the market for the same type of tire for my Focus, so please keep us updated w/ your search!

I got some performance rated Blizzak's waiting to go on my car - just waiting for the snow to fly. I'll let you guys know how they react when we finally get some snow.

I got some performance rated Blizzak's waiting to go on my car - just waiting for the snow to fly. I'll let you guys know how they react when we finally get some snow.

It did fly...last night. Roads nice and icy this morning. :laugh:

Opinions, in order of preferrence, based upon actual winter use:

Bridgestone Blizzak LM25
Goodyear Ultragrip Ice
Dunlop Wintersport M3

It did fly...last night. Roads nice and icy this morning. :laugh:

Snowed last night as well as this morning, no ice yet. I drive my car ~12 miles a day so spending upwards of $500 on performace snow tires seems silly looking back :laugh: Whatever - I'm not banging up my ride..

I have Blizzak LM-25s on my RX-8. It takes a 225/45/18 tire, and the LM-25 is V rated. It's a killer tire. I live in an area in Montana where it ranges from ice to snow to blowing snow, anywhere from +10 to -30 all winter. I used these tires on sheer ice and had no problems - in a rear-wheel drive car! They were awesome in deepish (6-7" is deep here) snow too. They don't flat-spot, and they are QUIET on dry pavement - they're quieter than the Cooper Zeons that I run in the summer on the RX-8. They are quite the road-handlers, too. I drive 60 miles a day commuting, so my tires are really important. I didn't realize how much difference a good winter tire can make. Well worth the $210 a tire. I'd much rather be short $900 and on the road than have money in my pocket and be stuck in the ditch at -15 with 20mph wind and no cell service - it took just that in the RX-8 before I realized just how much really depends on your tires. Good luck with the search!

Thanks for the info guys, but I ended up going with the Hankook "Ice Bears", a V-speed rated snow tire that was highly suggested by my buddy at Discount, plus they've got em' in stock already. I'm going slightly higher in the aspect ratio 45 to 50, but keeping the same 205mm width, so it shouldn't be too bad in the snow. Here in SE Michigan we haven't had bad winters lately, but the thing you've got to understand about snow tires is this, for one if and when it snows, your all set but when its below 45 its better because of the softness of the rubber used, so I really don't want to see any snow but I'm ready nonetheless and besides, its fun driving in the snow if you've got to and with some good snow tires, its that much more fun:shrug:

Thanks for the info guys, but I ended up going with the Hankook "Ice Bears", a V-speed rated snow tire that was highly suggested by my buddy at Discount, plus they've got em' in stock already. I'm going slightly higher in the aspect ratio 45 to 50, but keeping the same 205mm width, so it shouldn't be too bad in the snow. Here in SE Michigan we haven't had bad winters lately, but the thing you've got to understand about snow tires is this, for one if and when it snows, your all set but when its below 45 its better because of the softness of the rubber used, so I really don't want to see any snow but I'm ready nonetheless and besides, its fun driving in the snow if you've got to and with some good snow tires, its that much more fun:shrug:
Hey man, good choice. Or at least I hope we made a good choice. I also went with the 205/50/17 W300s. Discount guy also highly recommended them---described as more of a performance winter, like a V-rated all-season with winter compound.
I've never had a true winter tire before and I was with you're thinking of the majority of the winter driving I do is not in deep snow and I didn't want to compromise performance too much.
Anyway, here's to hoping we like them. :D
-J

These tires are great so far, quiet ride, smooth ride (due inpart to being non-runflats and the extra 5% of aspect ratio) but I can't wait till the white stuff flies and then we'll see. You'll find that designated snow tires are the only way to go, they not only keep you safer but keep the wear and tear off of your summer tires/wheels, a win win IMO:cool:

I've owned my CSVT for 8 years now, and I've lived in Michigan the entire time. I've had so much trouble with all the summer performance tires that I've put on. The only success I ever had with a year-round or winter tire on the Contour rims were tires that were brand new, and even then there was just too much torque in the front and not enough car weight to stop the wheels from spinning on the slightest amount of ice.

Last year I finally went out and bought a dedicated set of 15" rims and mounted the Blizzaks on them. BEST DECISION I'VE EVER MADE. The skinnier tire with real winter treads made my Contour the most winter-ready it's ever been. I highly recommend getting a second set of rims that you can change easily at home rather than trying to find a winter tire for a 16-18" rim.

It has nothing to do with torque or power at all!!

Summer tires are not to be used in winter, PERIOD! There is a reason why they have no snow rating. :idea:

Just wanted to give an update on the Hankook W300 Icebears---awesome tire, great price.
I've driven on these for the past 2 days and they are great---handling, ride comfort, grip all impressive. They fell like a performance all-season, exactly what I was hoping.
I have not driven in snow yet, just steady cold rain.
-J

Back