• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Pats...pats...pats... E0 svt

cummins_on_you

New CEG'er
I am hoping someone here can help point me in the right direction with my E0 svt that I have. So I have an E0 with a hybrid 3.0 swap in it that I bought about two years ago. Since the day I bought the car, it has had some sort of problem with the pats system on it. When you go to start it you would have to turn the key on and off multiple times until the pats light would stop flashing rapidly and finally go out then I could start it. Now I have read that when your pats is flashing that you cant crank over the car... not in my case. When its flashing the engine will crank and crank and crank but wont start. So I have had this problem with the car for over two years now, yes it has been annoying, but it always started and never left me stranded, that is until now. My wife went to the park about two weeks ago and when she went to leave, the pats light would keep flashing and would not go out. Here is what I know about whats going on with the car and maybe someone here has had the same problem. My pats system would cause more problems for me if it is cold or rainy outside compared to if it is nice weather. Also, even if the pats light would keep flashing, you always heard the fuel pump kick on and the engine would crank, it just wouldn't start. This is whats happening now, when I turn the key on, the pats light flashes, fuel pump does not kick on at all, engine still cranks, no start. The fuel pump does work, I have ran a hot lead to the fuse box under the hood and the pump kicks right on and sounds normal. If you let the key stay on, the pats light will blink 1:6, which I know means there is a communication error between the pats module and the computer. Now even before this instance, it has always flashed that same code saying there was a communication error but it always ended up working after a few revolutions of the key. I do have 2 keys, both have acted the same way with the car since the day I got it, so I cant imagine it being a key issue. Ive tried the module that you wire in to the ignition system that people use for remote starting systems and that didn't change a single thing. I feel like Ive done tons and tons of research about this thing but it seems as if there is no real answer on what it could be. Ive read anything from a grounded out vss wire, to the trunk actuator being bad, to a bad computer. I was hoping that someone here could point me in the right direction with some experience that they have had with their own cars.

Thanks,
Nate

Mod, sorry I think I put this in the wrong section. Somehow when I was looking over forum sections, I passed over the general troubleshooting section. If you could move this for me, it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Back