• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Passing emissions in Orange County

Guys, since this is all about passing emmisions in cali, I was wondering if I can get some help from my fellow CEG'rs. I have some pics that may explain a lil more than i can. my question is, are there two cats on the contour? my mechanic took out one stating that there was another right behind the headers. i just want a confirm on that. heres some pics of my under belly.
SDC10326.jpg

thats the view from under the engine looking out towards the back

and this is from behind the left front tire looking up behind the engine up the headers. now, that thing there, before the flex pipe, another cat converter?
SDC10324.jpg

heres another view of it directly looking up

SDC10323.jpg

the reason why im asking this is because im looking to get a smog inspection in the next few weeks, and its due after april, so i dont have a lot of time, in case that isnt a catalytic converter, i just want to know before hand so i can get on before inspection. thanks guys

First the contours have three catalytic converters. two pre-cats in the headers (exhaust manifolds) and another main catalytic after the y-pipe. ok there should be a a catalytic converter (main cat) in place of that straight pipe in the first picture right after the flex pipe. the next two pictures are of the pre-cats. you have one for the back header the one you pictured and another in the front of the engine. You need the main cat (the one thats missing from the first pic) to pass. The main cat is the one that lowers emissions the other two are only used for start up and you can get away without having those but there is no way you can pass without the main cat. You have two options you can ether go to a muffler shop and have them put in a catalytic after the flex pipe. i dont know how much a cat cost so that might cost you, check out some online. it shouldnt be that much to install it. Your other choice is to find a shop that'll pass you no matter what. I know a couple so if you're interested in that pm me.

I have an extra stock y/flex pipe with a cat converter sitting in my garage if you need it nerawkas. OEM cats are ludicrously expensive...

I have an extra stock y/flex pipe with a cat converter sitting in my garage if you need it nerawkas. OEM cats are ludicrously expensive...
that would be awefully kind of you. how much do you want it for? but my only concern is time, ur living in WI? how will you get it to me? and plus... installation isnt really my motif.

that would be awefully kind of you. how much do you want it for? but my only concern is time, ur living in WI? how will you get it to me? and plus... installation isnt really my motif.

I am currently in California, actually, but the cat converter is in my garage in wisconsin. If you pay for shipping/arranged to have it picked up it's yours...

Back