• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Paint issues......

silver rocket

Hard-core CEG'er
Ok so i am painting my rear reflector and i think I'm doing it right.
First i wet sanded every thing with 320 washed then 600 washed then 1200 grit. Washed and dried and then taped every thing off. Took it and the paint out to my garage to let it get to temperature. When it was i put a coat of plastic primer on it. 1 Day later another coat of primer... 1 Day later a coat of Silver Frost from Dupli Color..... Then on the right half it started to bubble:mad:!!! This is really pissing me off! What am i doing wrong here??? Same thing happened to my headlights! But i can't go with out my tour to much longer so please any help would be great. Thanks.
Oh and i can have pics if needed:cry:.

I find Dupli-Color to have a very "hot" solvent and must be sprayed in very light coats FWIW:shrug:

what part is bubbling the reflector or the chrome???

The reflector paint not the plastic i got the paint off with my finger before it could soak in and destroy the plastic. I'm not painting the chrome.

I find Dupli-Color to have a very "hot" solvent and must be sprayed in very light coats FWIW:shrug:

That is almost what I'm gona go with cause cause i don't know how many plastics if painted with Dupli Color and they all kinda did the same thing... I thought it was user error:nonono:.
I am just going to gt another reflector at a junk yard and try again. But with some different paint.

The reflector paint not the plastic i got the paint off with my finger before it could soak in and destroy the plastic. I'm not painting the chrome.

no i meant what part on the reflector is bubbling when you paint it?

Oh the right (passenger) side not all of it is but it was there... I need to post a new thread with all the pics I've taken but haven't found the time.

I will note when saying this that I have not painted a reflector myself. That being said however, what did you use to clean the surface? Did you clean between steps at all? It sounds to me like it could be a contamination problem of some kind...

i agree. making sure the surface is clean and grease free. also i have ran into that problem with rattle cans. if you put it on just a touch too wet it fish eyes. if this is what it is doing i would suggest a coat of primer, wet sand, clean, and apply color. first coat very light, like a mist/haze. hope that helps some. i am asst mgr at collision center so if you need additional help let me no

Back