• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

P0455 Code Solved!

w4wlr

New CEG'er
;)
Well, I had several of this code come up in my '99 Duratec Contour SE Sport. Changed out the fuel filler cap; no joy. Got the code again!

I decided to take a long hard look at the top of the engine and found a rubber hose that looked in bad shape. It started from the air cleaner intake pipe and went under the engine cover (the plastic one near the front of the engine compartment). When I removed the cover, I found the hose had totally disintegrated under the cover, opening the evaporative emission system to the atmosphere. This hose is part rubber and part plastic and passes over the top of the water pump pulley and connects to the valve cover.

Went to the local Ford dealer and got the new, updated hose for $25 or so. Car now runs smoothly and so far, no repeat of the code.

Thought this might be helpful to someone here.

Just an update. So far no reocurrence of the P0455 code. Guess I nailed this one. It will get a workout this weekend as my better half and I move to Fayetteville, AR!

;)When I removed the cover, I found the hose had totally disintegrated under the cover, opening the evaporative emission system to the atmosphere. This hose is part rubber and part plastic and passes over the top of the water pump pulley and connects to the valve cover.

That's actually part of the crankcase ventilation, or "PCV"... both valve covers have it or both of them should anyway ;) The front side of the motor vents to the inlet tract, the other side has the actual PCV valve.

Good thing you caught it though and it fixed your problem :)

Shannon

Just an update. So far no reocurrence of the P0455 code. Guess I nailed this one. It will get a workout this weekend as my better half and I move to Fayetteville, AR!

Well, we made it to Fayetteville, AR in good shape. Hadn't driven the car at night and discovered that the headlights need work as they throw a very feeble light. We used the fog lights to help see the road. No recurrence of the P0455 code. The headlights are for another post!

Will Rogers
Fayetteville, AR

OK...it's back!

OK...it's back!

Well, as the weather began getting cooler, the P0455 code has returned. It keeps coming back. :confused:. Guess there is a leak somewhere in the evap system. Does not affect drive-ability and AR does not check for emissions so I'll look for the problem when I can. However,does anyone know where the evap canister lives in this car? (99 Contour SE Sport) Can't seem to find anything on the Internet regarding this. :crazy:

Thanks!

the charcoal canister is under the car, at the back under the the spare tire well. check for rusted EVAP lines leading from the canister to the engine bay as well as a broken EVAP purge solenoid. also double check the gas cap, especially if you didnt use a Ford one.

OK. replaced the aftermarket gas cap with a ford OEM one. Will advise if that fixed the problem. Looked at the hoses coming off the evap canister; they seemed OK. Thanks for the help.

Back