• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

P0401 and P1151

Cleaning the throttle body to eliminate the 0401 makes no sense?
Since the PCM executes the monitoring once per driving cycle and takes 70 seconds to post the code along with it has to fail up to a maximum 2500rpm, it will probably rear up it's ugly head again once the state is caught within the designated parameters.

again on the contour duratec V6 the egr passages behind the TB tend to gunk up and close off. This will produce a P0401 code (egr flow insufficient). therefore cleaning the egr passages stop the insufficient flow and will turn the cel off for a P0401.

Good point, if he only cleaned the throttle body then the actual passages may still be partially blocked. It may be better to remove the EGR valve and attack from the outside in. Just a suggestion. I agree on cleaning the entire intake.

Good point, if he only cleaned the throttle body then the actual passages may still be partially blocked.
I guess I was not clear. I removed the TB and cleaned the passageways where the EGR blends into the air stream below the throttle. (Technically these passages are in the intake manifold).

I used some long pipe cleaners to work back into the passageway that comes from the EGR valve and did not pull out much "gunk".

I did not have to remove the EGR valve itself, but it is right there and looks pretty simple to remove. Obvious this would give you a good shot at the passage leading up to the TB as well as the pipe going down to the orifice where the DPFE picks up it signal.

Do the simple things first !

P0401 is gone after cleaning the EGR gunk around the throttle body.

From what I have read if you still have a P1151 after a recent O2 sensor change that next likely culprit is a vacuum leak.
Cleared the P1151 and have driven the car for 2 days and no CEL !

99 Contour, 95K mile, 2.5L V6, 5 speed SOLD !

incorrect.

P0401 is typically means that the egr passanges behind the tb need to be cleared as they are gumme dup restricting the egr flow, hense the code for insifficent egr flow
I'm getting the same CEL code, P0401. I cleaned the ports on the TB yesterday and reset the code. It came back on after about 20 miles of driving. I'm assuming the EGR valve needs replacing so I picked one up at Oreilly. Would you happen to know what the size of that bolt is that leads to the pipe that goes to the exhaust manifold? I'm assuming it requires a 25mm crows foot wrench. Does anyone know for sure.

Thanks!!

Back