• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

P0171 Lessons Learned

shotwell

Veteran CEG'er
Hi all! Thought I'd share my recent drama with the ex-wife's Contour.

Car kept coming up with P0171 code. That's Bank 1 Lean so you don't have to look it up. Lots of people have trouble with this code, some even calling it the code of death! :crazy:

(The car is a Zetec ATX, 2000 model year. The same one Aussie and I changed the timing belt on earlier this year. Has over 220k on it.)

I did a lot of searching here and elsewhere to find solutions. Learned that OBDII systems don't like vacuum leaks. Check.

Followed some people's advice...cleaned the MAF, check fuel pressure, check air box O ring, check tube beyond MAF for cracks, etc, etc. No joy. I found a cracked vacuum line right by the throttle body. Fixed that and sent it out...code came back.

This is where I call up my good buddy Aussie for reinforcements. Today we went over it with a fine toothed comb. Found ANOTHER cracked vacuum hose, although much worse. It's a curved hose that goes to the transmission (I think). Goes from a canister under the intake to a pipe near the thermostat housing.

Once the hose was replaced (with a slightly modified version) the car idled a little better and drove A LOT better, at least compared to reports my ex-wife gave me before I picked it up. I drove it about 50 miles total, shutting it off and restarting at least five times. No codes so far.

Fingers are crossed!

I like the "(with a slightly modified version)".

i.e., "let's see what we have in the shop that'll work" fix. I like those.

More like let's use what Auto Zone has in stock because the stealership is closed. How dare them!

Original version was a special curved hose, larger on one end than the other.

Modified version was a special PCV elbow, a plastic vacuum union, some hose clamps and a foot of 3/8 heater hose. It'll work.

It was a $200 car after all.

Ha! How the hell are you?! Long time no hear!

Well, helping the ex wife isn't my favorite thing to do, but she is the mother of my kids. It was an amicable divorce after all. Besides, the kids have to ride in that car too.

Hopefully in the future she'll be able to afford her own mechanic, but she moved out only a month ago. Times are still tough for both of us, monetarily that is.

That's right there are a few differences in the source but the overall cause - a vacuum leak, is still the same. One has to only realize that a Contour is a Contour whether it is a V6 or 4 banger when it comes to messing with your mind they are equal!

AF

That's right there are a few differences in the source but the overall cause - a vacuum leak, is still the same. One has to only realize that a Contour is a Contour wether it is a V6 or 4 banger when it comes to messing with your mind they are equal!

AF

Like a puzzle that's never complete.

Back