• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Out With The Old- In With The New

I thought they came turbocharged from the factory? Cause thats what the banner says on Chevrolet's site? :shrug:

Im lost

the new ones (as posted above) will be turbo'd, and probably faster, but thats how life goes, if you wait longer 90% of the time the next version of the car will be faster/better.. but you can't wait forever.

IMHO i'd rather go with a cobalt ss than say an SRT4, mostly because I see a ton less of them and they look less...ricey (except for that wing!), and i hear they are fun to drive.
As for ditching the SVT for this car, well it doesn't look like the SVT was doing too well anyways!
Have fun, it's your car and you're driving it so don't mind what other people say.

ridden in one...... running 22 lbs boost and a bigger intercooler (from a cobra actually) supposed to be 325whp, but he never produced a slip. it was fast.... kinda. beat my SVT on n20 by about a car length...... which is actually sad for what he had done to it.... my SVT at that time was running a 75 shot and sitting at 265 WHP 285 TRQ.

How does it drive? Is it fast? Is it a stick? Details:cool: I see it's supercharged

Nice car for sure. Funky position for the oil filter :crazy:.

For those interested... dead even with my 3 liter SVT up until highly illegal (if we were on public roads) speeds where my buddy started to fall back.

two things that I abolutely hate about those cars:

1. The wing
2. The exhaust cut out

Otherwise, I have always thought they are a decent small car.

They are OK I guess. Dont expect good times if you run the 1/4 mile, there was one at my local track one night with the stage 3 kit on it and it still ran a 15.4, Maybe the driver didnt know how to drive but a fwd supercharged car is the worst idea imo.

Don't you own a front wheel drive Turbocharged car?

Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black.

None of you guys have driven one of these I suppose. I would totally rock one. I had the standard Cobalt LT rental car a couple times now and the interior is MUCH nice than the contour, it felt better on the hwy, and was overall a much better car.

I raced a slightly modded one when my 3L was running decent and he was right next to me and a modded SRT4.

Go tell that to the Pontiac GTP and Regal GS guys...

So, you are saying that your NA car was running with modded FI cars.

None of you guys have driven one of these I suppose. I would totally rock one. I had the standard Cobalt LT rental car a couple times now and the interior is MUCH nice than the contour, it felt better on the hwy, and was overall a much better car.

I had a cobalt for a rental car last week when my wifes HHR was getting fixed and I really didnt care for it

nice car. i like the cobalt ss. i don't know much about them though. the only beef i have with gm is the indiscriminate "SS" plastering. those two letters mean a lot to me. puttting them on a cobalt, malibu, and TB just seems wrong... to me anyway.

Ah 2006?! :( 2008 SS's are supposed to be turbocharged, have more power, and the wing is an option! Still, way better then driving around in a busted SVT. ;) Find a local ricer with a standard Cobalt and trade trunk lids. ;)

That is what I love about these cars. A "simple" mod like a 3.0L lets it run with those other cars......now if we only could get traction off the line.
Drop $2000 on a simple "chip" for the 335i's and get 80+ horsepower :laugh:

I can tell you from a rolling start CSVT can stay ahead of the cobalt SS.... Good luck ever putting an aftermarket radio in a cobalt as well.... PITA, rear speakers are a hugh PITA as well..

Back