• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Our 95 Contour

Big G

CEG'er
Here are some new pics of our Contour with the new springs and the new door and fender. All 4 springs were broke so I replace them all with help from my g/f's dad. Props to him for the help.We only suffered a broken tie rod out of the whole thing. Little more work and it'll be on the road.
Here are the pics.
Driver' and pass. side after springs are in:
l_bffb439b8cdc9e5420bd1b3ea07e48c9.jpg

l_8acfc88793e4ce148008d3fc8ddafdbc.jpg

Door and fender on and front shot:
l_424d473cdf1cf71c4aa2f9fcefc83898.jpg

l_ede9d00b689fc02b7e8493435b45c918.jpg

New vs old springs front and rear( driver's rear was broke in 4 places)
l_3d4576c49bcc6cefba888aac0c7301d6.jpg

l_60f986be23627baef6b44114f475ab72.jpg

Peace,
Big G :crazy:

Last edited:
Looks like you're making good progress! :cool:

It's nice to see you are brining her back to life.

Keep us posted on your progress.

It's getting there.You should have seen it before the springs.The rear end was about dragging on the ground. I have to get the tie rod end this week and get it on. I'm hoping it is all worth it though. I've been cut,bruised and even electrocuted over this car :crazy:. It is in pretty good shape over all. I didn't want it at first but it is probably better we got it. It would have sat in the yard and rotted into the ground.:nonono: We'll give it a new lease on life.It better get one anyway all the money I've put into it so far. :laugh: More pics as work continues.

Peace,
Big G :shocked:

Last edited:
looks like your on the right track!

looks good!

why did you need to replace the quarter panel and door? was it in an accident?

looks like your on the right track!

looks good!

why did you need to replace the quarter panel and door? was it in an accident?

My g/f's parents owned it and her mom ran into a pickup truck with it :rolleyes:. It caught the back 6 inches if the fender and the front foot of the door. I probably will keep the original parts and try to straighten them out but I wanted to make it look half decent for now. We'll see what happens. The original parts are in better shape then the replacement stuff I got. :rolleyes: It is a fun learning experience that is for sure.

Well here is an update. We got the the tie rod end put on and bled the brakes last night. :cool: We took it for a ride even though it isn't inspected or registered.:eek: Man what a difference. It rides like a caddy compared to how it was before. Now I have to change the back brake pads, get a windshield, put the driver's side inner wheel well back in along with the turn signal lens ,and adjust the fender. Then I'll transfer it and get it inspected. It won't be long now. Hope to have it on the road by next month. Wish me luck.

Peace,
Big G :cool:

I've been cut,bruised and even electrocuted over this car :crazy:.

Yikes!!

We got the the tie rod end put on and bled the brakes last night. :cool: We took it for a ride even though it isn't inspected or registered.:eek: Man what a difference. It rides like a caddy compared to how it was before. Now I have to change the back brake pads, get a windshield, put the driver's side inner wheel well back in along with the turn signal lens ,and adjust the fender. Then I'll transfer it and get it inspected. It won't be long now. Hope to have it on the road by next month. Wish me luck.

Great! I'm glad that it drives well and you are happy.

We're wishing you luck!!

Well I got the windshield replace in the car and got it inspected. I ended having to have it lined up which ended up costing me $237. :cry: I changed the tranny fluid and it runs like a champ. It i a really nice car and I'm glad I got it. Sorry I don't have any pics. I'll have to take some and post them up.

Peace,

Fantastic! Your hard work has paid off and now you get to enjoy the car. Ya done good. :)
$237 for an alignment? Or is that for the frame?

Post some pictures when you get a chance.

Fantastic! Your hard work has paid off and now you get to enjoy the car. Ya done good. :)
$237 for an alignment? Or is that for the frame?

Post some pictures when you get a chance.

That was for the alignment. It had a bad Pass. front wheelbearing so I had them change that too. The wheelbearing itself was $65. We've taken it to Pittsburg 2x's now to visit my mom and it runs excellent beside the engine light coming on. I think the O2 sensor needs replaced. I'm going to try and clean it and see if that helps.

Because making your own and soldering the crap together is much more cost effective.

I guess you'll frown on the fact that I used the MIL Eliminators to clear my CEL...permanently.

Last edited:
This is a cool story. I have a lot of respect for people whom put in the time and energy to bring a car back from the dead.

^ Agreed!

That was for the alignment. It had a bad Pass. front wheelbearing so I had them change that too. The wheelbearing itself was $65. We've taken it to Pittsburg 2x's now to visit my mom and it runs excellent beside the engine light coming on. I think the O2 sensor needs replaced. I'm going to try and clean it and see if that helps.

Gottcha! I thought it kind of expensive for just an alignment. But, not a bad price for doing the wheel bearing too.

Do you know which 02 sensor? Cleaning the 02 probably won't help. It's probably time for new ones anyway. :(
Change it out or install a MIL (if it's one of the lower two).

If it is, why not just replace the O2 sensor and repair the car correctly? :shrug:

If you take out the O2 sensor and run it under a wire brush it makes the sensor start working again and I don't have the cash to replace them now cause I'm in the middle of restoring my VW Bus and most of my $$ is going there.

Do you know which 02 sensor? Cleaning the 02 probably won't help. It's probably time for new ones anyway. :(
Change it out or install a MIL (if it's one of the lower two).

I had a 98 Windstar that I had O2 sensor problems with (among other things :rolleyes: ) and I took out the O2 sensors and cleaned them with a wire wheel on a bench grinder and put them back in. It worked for about 6 months then I had to do it again. I only replaced one sensor on that thing. Thank god I shipped it down the river. I'll never buy one again.

Well it has been awhile since I was on this thread and to be honest I'd forgotten all about it.:eek: We ended up having the flywheel go out on the car and I was seriously going to junk the car instead of fix it but I had a change of heart and have decided to fix it.I dug it out of the snow about 2 weeks ago and took it to a guy to have the flywheel replaced. Hopefully he'll get it in and fix it soon. It will go back on the road as soon as he is done and I get it inspected.

Wow!, it's been a long time!
Glad to see that you haven't given up on the 'tour.
:cool:

Well the flywheel has been replaced and the car is setting in my driveway again. One of the studs broke off the exhaust where the flex pipe meets the converter so I have to take care of that then I plan on getting it inspected and run it around to blow the cobwebs out of it. :laugh:

Back