• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Options...opinions please

D

devanmc

Im looking at getting a sub amp sometime within the year. Ive narrowed it down between these 2. i would like everyones opinion on this as i cant decide...

Kenwood Excelon KAC-X20
(bonus- it has an optional remote, that i can put up front)

and

Kenwood KAC-9103D

Maybe this because of high 2 channel wattage, in bridged mode: (but not the favorite of the 3, as im caught on the 2 kenwoods, mainly)

Alpine MRP-F550

Thanks
-Devan

Last edited:
Are you willing to purchase used amps as well? What kind of subs will you be using and how many? Personally, I wouldn't go with any of those amps at those prices. If you can post back the answers to my first two questions, I'll offer up some recommendations.

yes i am willing to buy used.

To start off my set up, im going with 2 12" Kenwood KFC-W3011. Not the greatest subs ever but will be upgraded after awhile.

You can offer up recommendations in that area too. But Im going with a 2 12" set up for sure

Let's take a looksie

83_200_139.jpg

Kenwood KAC-X20
180 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms (260 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms)
520 watts RMS x 1 bridged output at 4 ohms (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)

Specs from Kenwood
2 Ohm@14.4V 260 Watts × 2 (1kHz, .5%THD)
4 Ohm@14.4V 180 Watts × 2 (20-20kHz, .05%THD)

80_200_137.jpg

Kenwood KAC-9103D
500 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms
(900 watts x 1 at 2 ohms)
1-ohm stable (no power ratings available)

Specs from Kenwood.com
1 Ohm@14.4V Over 900 Watts × 1
2 Ohm@14.4V 900 Watts × 1 (100Hz, 1.1%THD)
4 Ohm@14.4V 500 Watts × 1 (20-200Hz, .5%THD)

mrp-f550.jpg

Alpine MRP-F550
Specs from Alpine owners manual
RMS Continuous Power (at 14.4 V, 20 - 20kHz)
Per channel into 4 ohms (=1% THD+N, CEA2006).......90 W x 4
Per channel into 2 ohms (=1% THD+N, CEA2006).......125 W x 4
Briged 4 ohms (=1% THD+N, CEA2006).....................250 W x 2

Kenwood KFC-W3011

103_177_150.jpg

Specs
Impedance 4 Ohm
Peak Input Power 1200 Watts
Rated Input Power 400 Watts
Max Input Power 1 Watts

My assessment...
You have 2 X 4 Ohm subs.... wire them in parallel, you have 2 Ohms, wire them in series you have 8 Ohms.... I would recommend 2 Ohms... Matching that with an amp.... Subs will handle 400 Watts RMS, I would say use the KAC-9103D, that amp outputs 900 Watts @ 2 Ohms, so not only will it feed your subs fine, it also will be efficient since you won't have to crank it full power to get your subs to sound right, which will keep it from overheating and prolong it's life. That amp is also rated to be 1 Ohm stable too, which means that if in the future you choose to change you're sub setup, your amp should still be able to handle, for example if you were to get 2 x Dual 4 Ohm voice coil subs, they could be wired to 1 - Ohm and you're amp could still handle them... So I'd say go with the KAC-9103D, should be a good investment for the current subs and for future sub choices....

Peace!

Thanks for the input. Im new to audio when it comes to all the ohms and the different wiring(good with home stuff). Im sure their is a place that explains this, but idk where to look. Could you point me in the correct direction please.

Thanks for the input. Im new to audio when it comes to all the ohms and the different wiring(good with home stuff). Im sure their is a place that explains this, but idk where to look. Could you point me in the correct direction please.

That's easy!

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/woofer_wizard.asp

Input the number of woofers you wish to wire.... 2 in your case
Input the impedance of those subs (have to all be the same).... which in your case is.......... Single 4 Ohm

Then click search, it will show you your options, the Ohm load they will be at, and how to wire them...

or just click here if you don't want to do the input
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/woofer_wizard.asp?submitted=true&woofer_qty=2&woofer_imp=1

Btw, Crutchfield is a good source for audio but they are typically overpriced. I tend to check ebay as there are always great deals to be had. I'll do some research for a 2 12" sub setup and an amp to go with them.

i already have a box. So im just looking for subs and an amp now. The speakers are 130 pair(some deal they have going) and when i buy the subs and amp(both kenwood) i get 25 off. So it works out to get me around 200 off, an free shipping. Which was pretty fast last time i bought form them

i already have a box. So im just looking for subs and an amp now. The speakers are 130 pair(some deal they have going) and when i buy the subs and amp(both kenwood) i get 25 off. So it works out to get me around 200 off, an free shipping. Which was pretty fast last time i bought form them

Understood. Btw, the box will play a big part in what type of subs you should use. The specs of the box have to be adequate for the subs. Below is a link to a Diamond Audio D3 12" sub. The price is excellent and Diamond makes great speakers. They are Dual 4 ohm so they can be wired to a 4 ohm load or a 1 ohm load if the amp can handle that. One thing I've learned in all my years experimenting with audio, don't settle for less and waste money later upgrading when you can spend slightly more and be happy for years to come.

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/1526973/vpcsid/0/SFV/30046

Post some specs on the box you are using if you happen to know what they are. I'll check out some amps and post back.

Btw, Crutchfield is a good source for audio but they are typically overpriced. I tend to check ebay as there are always great deals to be had. I'll do some research for a 2 12" sub setup and an amp to go with them.

Just be careful with using ebay, granted it's a great selling place, you HAVE to read the fine print, sometimes amps and audio equipment on their is defective or not working and the put pictures of working units on there to "Show" what a working unit would look like once it's fixed, so just be careful. Make sure you're buying what is actually being described, not what you think they might be selling... Hate to have anyone buy a unit that looked awesome on there, and then it didn't work because the seller put a nice picture of the unit and said in their description it was messed up..... Just my $.02

Im getting the box from the five oh! it is a sealed box, not exactly sure on its internal size but i know its within, what is recommended(generally) for 12" subs

Just be careful with using ebay, granted it's a great selling place, you HAVE to read the fine print, sometimes amps and audio equipment on their is defective or not working and the put pictures of working units on there to "Show" what a working unit would look like once it's fixed, so just be careful. Make sure you're buying what is actually being described, not what you think they might be selling... Hate to have anyone buy a unit that looked awesome on there, and then it didn't work because the seller put a nice picture of the unit and said in their description it was messed up..... Just my $.02

You certainly make a great point. I always make sure to buy from someone who has excellent if not perfect feedback. I also check to make sure they have actual photos that are up close and clear. However, there always is a chance that you will be disappointed. It actually just happened to me recently with a head unit that I bought. Fortunately the seller agreed to refund my money.

So once this is put together with the parts mentioned and wiring. Knowing it will be pretty loud, it wont be ghetto high school system will it? I want something with power and such but i dont want to end up like some of the kids at my school.:nonono:

Im getting the box from the five oh! it is a sealed box, not exactly sure on its internal size but i know its within, what is recommended(generally) for 12" subs

Here are 2 amps that I found. The first really needs no introduction if you've been around car audio for a while. Hands down one of the finest amps ever produced. Power output is 600X1 at 4ohms.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CLASSIC-OLD-SCH...ryZ39732QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This next one you might really want to consider depending on which subs you decide on. Most likely it will go for much less than the amp posted above. Power output is 600X1 at 4ohms or 1200X1 at either a 2 or 1 ohm load. That meens you could use two dual 4 ohm subs and feed them 600 watts RMS each with this monster. Don't get RMS power confused with all these new amps that claim 3000 watts!! This amp actually puts out 1200 watts rms and has come highly recommended from other Ceg'rs in the past.

http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-Power-BP120...ryZ64570QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

So once this is put together with the parts mentioned and wiring. Knowing it will be pretty loud, it wont be ghetto high school system will it? I want something with power and such but i dont want to end up like some of the kids at my school.:nonono:

That's one of the greatest statements I've read in a while. God bless you! What kind of music do you typically listen to? Do you want strictly sound quality or do you want SPL too? Don't rush into putting this together; take your time and get it done right. There's a lot of knowledgable folks on here that can point you in the right direction.

If you mean by rattling.... you can take care of that with sound deadening material...
If you mean wiring, that is mostly in the eye of the beholder and how you want it to look, if you want it to look clean, get some zip ties and make it look clean!

Power output is 600X1 at 4ohms or 1200X1 at either a 2 or 1 ohm load. That means you could use two dual 4 ohm subs and feed them 600 watts RMS each with this monster.

He only has 2 x SVC 4 Ohm subs currently... so 600x1 @ 4 Ohms is out of the question.... It would be 1200x1 @ 2ohms for the current setup.... If he did upgrade to DVC 4 Ohms subs then yes, he could do 600x1 @ 4 Ohms OR 1200x1 @ 1 Ohm....

I listen to alot of rock. so i will have alot of settings to deal with, so that i can annoy people when i want to, but keep it sounding good the rest of the time. So im looking for both(or cosest i can get with my money).

metal(with the double bass) should annoy the living crap out of the wanna be gangsters, once this monster is put together...

Last edited:
If you mean by rattling.... you can take care of that with sound deadening material...
If you mean wiring, that is mostly in the eye of the beholder and how you want it to look, if you want it to look clean, get some zip ties and make it look clean!

- more it just sounding like completely garbled and distorted s***

Last edited:
Back