• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

optimal exhaust size?

D

devanmc

im planning on redoing my entire eshaust. But have been getting mix reports.

i want to do a header back, but the rest has yet to be decided now. What is the optimal size and set up for an N/A auto zetec? For set up i mean, cats or no cats, mufflers or resonators ect.

best performance

as i figure you can always mess with it to change the sound.

Optimal for N/A is 2.25" to 2.5"

so would the 2.5 header back have to much flow, ruining my low end? and if so how would the muffler/res/cat set up have to be or how would it be for a 2.25.

ive heard the more i open it up, the exhaust, with an N/A ATX the more it will bog down. So will i need 2 mufflers and a cat to add back pressure to a 2.5 system or would i need maybe just a muffler resonator for a 2.25 system. Im looking to know what size is best for an N/A ATX zetec and what would be needed(cats mufflers) to maintain enough back pressure for low end. also, what would be needed to make the sound good or atleast bare able.

so basickly, im now lost and dont have alot of experiance and knowledge about cars, to know exactly whats best.

Well if this helps, when I got the SVT cat-back put up, the car was DEFINITELY less boggy...So I think a 2.25" exhaust would be very good...

Well if this helps, when I got the SVT cat-back put up, the car was DEFINITELY less boggy...So I think a 2.25" exhaust would be very good...

im starting to think the 2.25 might be better N/A. since i will also have a considerably lower back pressure from the removed cat.

Well to clarify, I still have my stock cat and stock 2" piping until just past the flex pipe where it opens up into the 2.25" piping, no resonator, and stock SVT mufflers...

Well to clarify, I still have my stock cat and stock 2" piping until just past the flex pipe where it opens up into the 2.25" piping, no resonator, and stock SVT mufflers...

im not sure what the size of the down pipe is that is coming with the headers. ill see if i can find out

its just something i heard but not fully sure about. so i asked questions

Are you using the Pro-Motion header? If so, especially with ATX, I'd used 2.25" with a high flow cat where the stock resonator is located.

I forgot to ask if you are still using the stock intake or aftermarket.

mine is set up with a 2.25" from stock cat back, cherry bomb turbo muffler in the middle and a HKS racing muffler at the back, the cat hollowed itsself after a while and cloogged up the muffler, so I went and took it off. Now I'm basically straight pipe and love the sound, it also helped greatly with performance... I am looking to get headers after a while... but for now, it's pretty effective and hasn't bogged me down yet.

just a little input. when i hollowed out my cat, i ran the car right off of the cat, hollowed out, and it ran great. i'm guessing that a 2.5" exhaust would work great as long as u have a resonator and muffler.

With an atx and everything stock to the flex pipe, I'm going to run a 2.5 inch all the way back, no resonator, into a single out muffler. (A fart can) Is this too much flow or will it be decent?

Back