• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

opinions on T3/T4

Smalls

Addicted CEG'er
im not very knowledgable(sp?) about turbos, but i have an opportunity to buy a brand new in the box T3/T4 for $325. think i should jump on it?

all you know about the turbo right now is that it has a T3 flanged hot side, and a T4 sized cold side.

that still tells you nothing about the actual size of the turbine wheels, what it will flow, or if the wastegate is internal or external.....

i dont know any of the specs. all i know is that its a T3/T4. a buddy of mine picked it up cheap and doesnt want it. i have no clue what turbos go for, thats what i was wondering.

What you are wondering has everything to do with the turbine size and its associated compressor map. that turbo MAY work GREAT for someone, or it may be WAY too big/small and thus worth NOTHING.

You can't set a certain price on the turbo simply based on "t3/4" that just tells you what size piping/flanges will mate up to it on either side...

don't expect a $300~ turbo to last too long. Im guessing you found it on ebay, its usually chinese junk. Some people have had luck with the knock off turbo's, most others have not. Expect to pay upwards of $500 for a GOOD turbo.

FYI You can grab a T3/T4 off ebay for under $140 + Shipping

Do it! Then bolt it up to your y pipe and it will bolt right up to your main cat and you're good to go. Why do we pay so much for turbo kits when we can go ebay!!??! $140 turbos are quality stuff!

Yes they are called boat anchors.

Do it! Then bolt it up to your y pipe and it will bolt right up to your main cat and you're good to go. Why do we pay so much for turbo kits when we can go ebay!!??! $140 turbos are quality stuff!

I did pick one up and used it on my GSXR1000, It works great. Would I try to push more then 10psi on it.... No

But seriously if you think you cant pick up a used quality turbo on ebay, your only kidding yourself.

I did pick one up...It works great. Would I try to push more then 10psi on it....

what part of that reply is based on facts, and not opinions? Nothing you said is "hard evidence" that it will perform, or is a quality product.

But seriously if you think you cant pick up a used quality turbo on ebay, your only kidding yourself.

I'm sorry.. did you just say "used" and "quality" in the same sentence as "ebay"?

yeah i picked up a "brand new turbonetics T3 Super 60" turbo off ebay originally. it didnt last but a few months. when i pulled it out i discovered that it was not a turbonetics at all (i still dont know what it was) and was only a 60 trim instead of the super 60.

Needless to say i replaced it with a brand new garrett turbo from a reputable company for less than i paid originally. :nonono:

Back