• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

? on mods and part swapping

2.0zetec

New CEG'er
I am new here and don't know exactly where to put this?
I have a99 with a 2.0 and at and 192,xxx miles! I want to rebuild it and put a turbo on it with a fsvt 6 speed.
What parts would you guys recommend to put into this motor?
I have gone to zxperformance.com and checked their parts out and they have a good selection. I was impressed!
I have access to a local salvage yard that I can get parts from. So that's not a problem,other than the 6 speed. Most of them are at or 5 speeds.
What other auto parts will interchange with the Contour?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike.

Pretty generic questions, but there is a lot of info in this area to read. Dig through some old threads and post up what you find so people can answer a little better for you. Welcome to the site!

If you go with Turbo ect ect..I would use some better crank and rod bolts. ARP are the best.

Since you have an automatic, your best bet would be to go with a SC instead of a turbo. with the SC, along with header, exhaust, UDP, intake, and tune you can make around 170WHP. unfortunately, the ATX is the biggest thing holding you back.

I have a99 with a 2.0 and at and 192,xxx miles! I want to rebuild it and put a turbo on it with a fsvt 6 speed.
I have gone to zxperformance.com and checked their parts out and they have a good selection. I was impressed!
I have access to a local salvage yard that I can get parts from. So that's not a problem,other than the 6 speed. Most of them are at or 5 speeds.

Thanks,
Mike.

I'm sorry if this comes off as harsh or mean but why would you want to dump thousands and thousands of dollars into a car thats worth maybe 5 or 6 hundred bucks. You'll never get it back. Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I'm sorry if this comes off as harsh or mean but why would you want to dump thousands and thousands of dollars into a car thats worth maybe 5 or 6 hundred bucks. You'll never get it back. Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Well when he gets done with it, it will be worth a lot of money eh?..

I once bought an 1979 Camaro for 400 bucks and stripped it, massged it and planted in a ex Morrison Small block Circle track motor... Spent 3,200 on just the engine... Another 1500 for the mosher axle plus all the building material..I painted it myself and saved a lot there, but overall I put thousands into a 400 dollar heep of old car lol.

It's all about what you like and tricked out Contours aren't my thing, but I can see the appeal.

why not throw a 3l into it?:shrug: you'll have to find a contour svt trans but.....

probably still not worth it...unless you have money to dump into your car.
many people think these are "grocery getters", and they are...lol i hate knowing that by the way!

either way if you plan on doing what your doing....its gonna obviously be expensive. i wouldn't get too crazy with it tho man.

I know people that have put thous into a Honda Prelude V-tec's, Civics..ect ect... They were into that "Rice Burner" crap and really made some nice cars...I took a ride in the Prelude and almost lost my lunch... I didn't even think of going up against them with my heavyweight Camaro.

All those cars are considered "grocery getters" It's what you like man and I have seen some really nice looking Contours on this site. Why not make it a blast to drive?

Now if it was a 1984 Cutlass Cierra.......then I may object lol.. those are ugly.... Contours are smooth and have potential IMO.

Thanks,
Mike.

Honestly the MTX-75 is a much better transmission. So go with the 5-speed.

Since you have an automatic, your best bet would be to go with a SC instead of a turbo. with the SC, along with header, exhaust, UDP, intake, and tune you can make around 170WHP. unfortunately, the ATX is the biggest thing holding you back.
I plan on swapping in a5 or 6 speed. But thanks for the info.

I know people that have put thous into a Honda Prelude V-tec's, Civics..ect ect... They were into that "Rice Burner" crap and really made some nice cars...I took a ride in the Prelude and almost lost my lunch... I didn't even think of going up against them with my heavyweight Camaro.

All those cars are considered "grocery getters" It's what you like man and I have seen some really nice looking Contours on this site. Why not make it a blast to drive?
The power to weight ratio is STUPID!!!! Come on 4- 500 streetable hp from 1.8l in a 2800# car.... You see where this is going?
I know most of the cars on here are SVT's,but how much money have been invested into some of them? Do you think you will get what you have put into them. I have seen some of them,and some are awesome looking,but money is in the eye of the beholder,and how much someone is willing to pay.
Plus most of them are still using stock blocksto make that hp.

Last edited:
why not throw a 3l into it?:shrug: you'll have to find a contour svt trans but.....

many people think these are "grocery getters", and they are...lol i hate knowing that by the way!

either way if you plan on doing what your doing....its gonna obviously be expensive. i wouldn't get too crazy with it tho man.
I don't plan on making it to crazy,just a nice street car and a DD. Plus it is something different than a Honda or Toyota or a Mustang for that fact. There is so many ways you can build a car,then it becomes dated. You don't see to many of these in the area where I live,mostly of the fore mentioned.
I plan on using mostly stock parts to keep the cost down and put the money in the right places.(Proper upgrades)

Guys we are getting of subject here. I don't need constuctive critcisim,I need answers for questions.
I have experience building motors,V-8s though,so them same principles apply,right? Just with half the cylinders. More air in=hp.

So to keep it streetable,say around 250-300 ponies,what size of turbo?
Since 2l is close to 2.3l,say a turbo from a SVO work? In theory.
What kind of pistons should I run? High compression or dished?

See I am ol skool,muscle car,big inch motors. So doing a turbo car is new to me,but I am learning.
I've got the idea in my head on what it should look like,but I am not very goo with photoshop yet,still learning from my 13yr old stepdaughter on that,lol.
I'll post a pic soon.when I get a chance. To much damn ot
Mike

Doing a 3L would be a lot more time since he isnt starting out with a V6. besides a turbo Zetec will make more power than a 3L and not have traction problems anyways.

Guys we are getting of subject here. I don't need constuctive critcisim,I need answers for questions.
I have experience building motors,V-8s though,so them same principles apply,right? Just with half the cylinders. More air in=hp.

So to keep it streetable,say around 250-300 ponies,what size of turbo?
Since 2l is close to 2.3l,say a turbo from a SVO work? In theory.
What kind of pistons should I run? High compression or dished?

See I am ol skool,muscle car,big inch motors. So doing a turbo car is new to me,but I am learning.
I've got the idea in my head on what it should look like,but I am not very goo with photoshop yet,still learning from my 13yr old stepdaughter on that,lol.
I'll post a pic soon.when I get a chance. To much damn ot
Mike

Ive done all this myself before. search around for my threads regarding my pre98 Zetec turbo build.

run a set of forged pistons with ~9:1 CR (about the lowest anyone makes for the Zetec), just stay away from the Probe Racing pistons. you will also need to upgrade the rods, eagle rods will be perfect for what you want. You will only find them listed for the Focus but as long as you use the rods and pistons as a matched set (Focus style pistons with focus style/length rods) they work.

Since you plan on doing an MTX swap (requires a new subframe, PCM, and lots of other parts, a complete donor car would be easiest) then the turbo will be fine. install an LSD (either torsen or quaife) into the trans as the stock 98+ diffs are fragile. for the turbo, you should run either a T3 super 60 or a GT2860. they are very similar in size, just the GT has ball bearings, both are capable of 300WHP and both spool up pretty fast (but not so fast that you will have traction problems). I started with a T3 60 trim (not the super 60) and with 10PSI made 200WHP and 220WTQ with stock head and cams. I then upgraded to a Super 60 and while I never got on a dyno with it I know it made a little more power. upgrade the head to a ported Focus head (will also eliminate VCT) and install some turbo cams along with cam gears and with a little more boost you will easily be in the power range you are looking for.

If your interested send me a PM as I still have some of the parts left over from my old Zetec after the pistons melted (used probe racing pistons which have since been proven to be too thin)

Thanks Striker2. That was the info I was looking for. I took a look at your posts and got a lot of info from them. The only thing I couldn't see was how you mounted the turbo. What exhaust manifold did you use?
Did you use the stock intake also?

I have to change the subframe? I might find a 5 speed car to start with instead, DAMN.
MIght be better in the long run,cause I don't have the time to pull it from the salvage yard. With the prices on these so cheap, i could find one....maybe?
Well back to the drawing board.
Thanks for the info,it will be useful when I find a 5 speed car.

there should be pictures in one of my threads of my progress on building the setup. what I used was a stock Focus manifold and made up an adapter pipe and bolted the turbo to it.

I used the stock intake manifold as well.

Back