• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

OMP Strut tower brace

95_Mystique

Hard-core CEG'er
First of all, thank you Joe for the brace! It looks pretty good.

I have a few questions about the bar.

First, how well does the supplied self tapping screws work?

Second, would it be worth it for me to remove the struts and use nuts, washers and bolt?

When putting it on the car, how should I have it adjusted? Pressing out on the struts or pulling in? Doesnt matter? :shrug:

Don't use the self tapping screws, they suck and will strip in no time. Use the nut, wash, bolt setup.

When installing, the suspension should unloaded, then the bar should be tightened to be pushing out on the towers(finger tight). This is my understanding from other threads.

So i should have it up on the lift and finger tight pushing out before putting back on the ground.. got it.

Anyone else have any input?

I installed it with upgraded self tapping screws (zinc coated ones), it seems like too much of a hassle to remove the struts. Besides I haven't seen anybody that has had a great improvement as is more of a "looks" thing.

I installed mine way back around 2005 maybe, I don't recall exactly at the moment. Anyway I just used the supplied self-tapping screws and have not had a problem. After install, with the car on the ground I just put some tension on the bar to push out on the towers. To be honest not sure it it did alot as I have had to remove the bar a few times and I have just pulled the bolts on the tower plates and removed it.

All the OMP bars I have seen installed were with the regular drill in bolts. There isn't enough flex at the front strut towers to make them strip out. Get everything put together loose and lined up, tighten the strut tower screws, then tighten your adjuster to snug it up. :cool:

Can anyone give me an idea of what hardware to get to mount to the strut towers. I'm paticularly concerned with length. I'm okay with drill-in style that comes with the bar.

Thank you

Can anyone give me an idea of what hardware to get to mount to the strut towers. I'm paticularly concerned with length. I'm okay with drill-in style that comes with the bar.

Thank you

I would get something a little beefier than what comes with the bar. I broke a few of those on a 'spirited' drive

In all honesty I would just weld it to the tower if you have the option. Here is what I would do...

- Remove all of the decals on the top of your strut towers in the engine bay
- Clean the surfaces of the tower with wax and grease remover
- Have everything adjusted how you want it and set the FSTB on the towers.
- Mark off where the three bolt holes fall on the towers.
- Disassembly the brace from the FSTB
- Place the tower bracket onto the tower ensuring the bolt holes are aligned with your marks.
- Plug weld the three bolt holes to the tower.
- Place seam sealer along the perimeter OD on the bracket as well as on the ID of the bracket (this will ensure no rust starts underneath the bracket)
- Repeat on the other tower.

This method IMO is the most robust means of installing this FSTB. Only con is if you decide you want to remove it. However even then all you would need to do is drill out the plug welds, which wouldn't be any more damage to the strut tower then if you had drilled holes there in the first place for bolts :shrug:

only works with the OMP and not the other fstb that is fixed at the tower brackets....the name is slipping me atm.

huh, and i thought that the ceg concencus was that the front strut towers didnt flex enough to be in need of fstb...interesting..

Back