• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Oil Relocation - Spectre Easy Access Oil Changer P/N 5971

CSVT#49

Addicted CEG'er
So I was a little skeptical about purchasing anything made by Spectre, but for $15.95 ($45.95 - $30 discount with Amazon.com Visa card) I gave it a shot.

First impressions...
Well the kit looks fairly decent compared to other kits I've seen in the past first hand. The supplied lines are good enough for what they need to be being rated for 300psi. The adaptors are color coded for what thread they are so as they are easily identifiable without trial and error. What I'm not impressed with is the adaptors preassembled with the barb fittings :nonono:. They over applied the teflon tape on all of the fittings in the adaptors. So much so that it was dangling inside the adaptor as if they started wrapping the fitting before the threads started. Not a huge deal as I am removing them anyway to install NPT to ORF adaptor fittings. The electric pump looks cheap as if it will break after about a years use. Personally I'm not entirely sold on the idea of pumping out the oil from the engine to change it, but I may try it a few times to see how I like it. Either way I still plan on doing a manual oil change every third time just to ensure that any built up gunk in the oil pan finds its way out.

And with that here are the pictures.

oilkit1.jpg
oilkit2.jpg

oilkit3.jpg
oilkit4.jpg

I wasnt sold on pumping the oil out from the bottom either until I loosened the oil plug just to check on only a few drips came out. I worried it might leave a measurable amount like the tubes that go down into the oil dipstick but this is totally different in that it drains from the oil pan drain. Pump the oil out when its hot like you're supposed to and all the gunk will be in suspension and should come right out just like you were draining it.

What I'm not impressed with is the adaptors preassembled with the barb fittings :nonono:. They over applied the teflon tape on all of the fittings in the adaptors. So much so that it was dangling inside the adaptor as if they started wrapping the fitting before the threads started.
I hate seeing Teflon tape being used in anything automotive. First off, it's crap for sealing tapered pipe, and Teflon taped fittings used in oiling systems will weep oil for all eternity.

Second, and more importantly, if improperly applied, it will break off and end up in the oiling system. I've picked shards of Teflon tape out of bearing oil ports; not in my own engines, but in other's.

Avoid Teflon tape, use good pipe dope, like Loctite 565.

^^^ as a pipefitter who uses teflon and pipe dope every day i agree with this statement.

besides. if you do use teflon, you use it first, then dope, never just tape. i dont know why anyone does that. but mikey knows better. he's a smart guy :) so i'm sure it'll be installed very nicely :)

I hate seeing Teflon tape being used in anything automotive. First off, it's crap for sealing tapered pipe, and Teflon taped fittings used in oiling systems will weep oil for all eternity.

Second, and more importantly, if improperly applied, it will break off and end up in the oiling system. I've picked shards of Teflon tape out of bearing oil ports; not in my own engines, but in other's.

Avoid Teflon tape, use good pipe dope, like Loctite 565.

^^^ as a pipefitter who uses teflon and pipe dope every day i agree with this statement.

besides. if you do use teflon, you use it first, then dope, never just tape. i dont know why anyone does that. but mikey knows better. he's a smart guy :) so i'm sure it'll be installed very nicely :)

Couldn't agree more. Which is why I work with the same pipe dope that we use at my work in my garage.

I'll probably get around to fitting things up this weekend and then making the hoses sometime next week. Other projects I need to attend to before this one.

yeah dude. i got alot going on too. i shoudl stop by and show you this weekend what i've been up to :D

Yea no crap you haven't been by my place in a long time. Stop by anytime, just give me a buzz to see if I'm around.

So I took everything apart and cleaned out the adapters with brake cleaner to remove all of the crap. I made a custom bracket to bolt the mounting plate to the location of the two bolts that are on the inner fender well for the battery tray. I went ahead and installed the kit with the barb fittings for temporary use to figure out how long I needed the hoses and what fittings I would need. However I did start up the car and already found the fitting on the remote adapter to be leaking :mad: definitely wouldn't trust barb fittings on this kit in my opinion. I'm going to remove it tomorrow though as I am giving the car to my brother so he can repaint the hood, front bumper (KSport incident), rear quarters and doors during the next few weeks at DCTC where he goes to school for autobody repair and paint. So I'll just be installing a regular filter for the time being. Hopefully by SZ everything will be squared away though. Pictures below were taken with my BB Storm just before I left for Easter dinner so I didn't crawl under the car :D However check out the blue braiding I got to go over the hoses... matches my Samco Sport hoses amazingly and only cost me $9 :cool:

oilfilter.jpg
img00005200904121218.jpg

img00006200904121218.jpg

However I did start up the car and already found the fitting on the remote adapter to be leaking :mad: definitely wouldn't trust barb fittings on this kit in my opinion.

Thats some bad luck. I double checked the filter adapter while swapping out rear mounts saturday and didnt find anything out of place or leaky. Then again you did remove remove the teflon tape that was sealing the fitting so you might not have got it sealed back up 100%.

Thats some bad luck. I double checked the filter adapter while swapping out rear mounts saturday and didnt find anything out of place or leaky. Then again you did remove remove the teflon tape that was sealing the fitting so you might not have got it sealed back up 100%.

I suppose that's a possibility, but highly unlikely. I take my time with everything I do for the very reason that I don't want to do things twice.

Besides the loose strands you saw I wasnt sure what the big fuss was about sticking with the yellow teflon tape they installed. As long as you arent removing/installing the fitting over and over the risk of some tape breaking off to bother something is nil in my mind, especially with the thicker/tougher yellow teflon that mine had installed.

I forgot to mention I did try the electric pump to drain the engine when I took off the remote kit. I put 6 1/2 quarts of oil in the engine and was only able to pump out 5 1/2 quarts. So the pump is not capable of draining all of the oil out of the motor. How ever I will give it another shot as the oil was cooler when I did pump it out, which would have put more strain on the pump.

I'll be having the lines made up within the next few days. However my brother now has my car for paint and body work so I won't be able to reinstall it for about another 2-3 weeks. Basically just in time for SZ09.

Yeah try it with the oil hot like you're supposed to. Like I said I only got a drip out when I pulled the banjo fitting out to check how the threads were doing.

Back