• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Oh happy day

In your dreams!

They are just as bad as any other car if not cared for and no better if they are cared for.

Every automaker has their problems and every model has their own unique common failures. When I worked in a Honda shop I was amazed at how much trouble they had.
I'm shocked! Have you never seen that Toyota (or Honda) commercial where they weld the hood closed? I rest my case! :laugh:
Karl

Hang out at a Honda shop for a while and you will discover that their automatic transmissions don't hold up as well as the Contour automatic transmission. They are literally falling apart on the Oddysey, Accord, Pilot, and CRV. To Hondas credit though, they have stepped up to replace them long after warranty.

Hondas wear out suspension parts much more frequently.

Water Pumps fail at a much higher rate.

Original batteries are truly junk. They are supplied by the same vendor as Ford's batteries (Johnson Controls) but must be to a much lower spec. Battery replacement in Hondas is much more frequent than on Fords.

One of the things that most upset me about Honda is the use of timing belts on everything, including their V6. Expect a $1000 maintenance at around 100,000 miles to replace it.

Hondas go through brakes frequently with the need to replace rotors in the front when the pads are worn being a common issue.

And my favorite has to do with the CRV. The valves need to be adjusted as maintenance. If you forget about this little tidbit (and since no other common automaker has this feature anymore why would you think you need to?) at about 100,000 miles you will need to replace the head.

Well heck add a honda next to the contour and we will call them both junk. :)

Well heck add a honda next to the contour and we will call them both junk. :)

Jim's point is: By YOUR definition, ALL cars are "junk. Its just a matter of whether or not the "Junk" has started breaking yet or not. Its not that "contours" are junk, or a "Honda" is junk.. its that a "car" is junk, in that respect. Nothing lasts forever, and they ALL need maintenance.

Back