• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Official LIM by SHOSource.com GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've stated my opinion of this before but for the SHO source guys, how many SHO big-bore LIMs do you sell a year?
The 2.5/3.0 Duratec came in many more applications (plus theMondeo guys) and should out-sell your SHO units rather easily (I know some SHO guys are hardcore---used to be a SHO guy and still love them). If marketed correctly you would easily sell 10 units.
That would be the rationale to invest in a product like this as I've said before, but I do fully understand your position also.
Hopefully it gets done.
-J

We sell about 10 SHO Big Bore Butterflies per year. Granted, it is a mature product and we sold hundreds over the past 6 years.

Even if we did not have to pay machine time (which we do), someone still has to do the work. We have seen people complain about our CNC cut SHO Big Bore prices at $189 and then spend 12 hours of their own time with a jig saw and a dremel to brag how they built their own set for only $58. We get a chuckle out of these people since their hourly rate is pretty low at that point and their BBBs are not very pretty or effective being hand cut.

Buying the correct reamer would be a good start if you wanted to do-it-yourself, but you still need the machine to operate the reamer and some sort of tooling to hold the LIM. Then there are the plates to be cut. You can buy off the shelf plates, but they wont fit your rods, or you can try to cut freehand. In our case we use CAD and CNC cut the plates to fit. They are all identical. Unfortunately, the cost to make 10 is almost the cost to make 100 since setup and programming costs are a fixed cost. If you wanted 500 LIMs made instead of 5, I am 100% sure I could knock the price down significantly over what we are asking.

The only reason we ask for money up front is we have been left holding the bag on other group buys. You would think Vulcan UDPs would be a hot seller, since there are more Vulcans than SHO, but we have only sold 1 or 2 above our original group buy number, and we bought significant additional inventory to make the group buy happen (thinking they would sell). We may still have Vulcan UDPs in stock when a Taurus gets old enough to enter in an antique car show:crazy:.

Another recent group buy that failed was the ATX y-pipe buy. We had 10-12 people who said they wanted it. When we were ready to go to production, we had TWO paying customers. Everyone else vanished.

I don't want to be too negative. I know the economy is in the tank. We run SHO Source as a second business (thankfully). We do it because we love the orphaned cars, but it can't be a charity. We run on extremely thin margins so we can compete with the big internet suppliers. We might only make $10-20 each on the Contour LIMs. If we get 5 buyers, that means $50-100 for probably 20-30 hours of our time in emails, design, shipping, etc. Not a great hourly wage (and we laughed at the dremel BBB boys). If we hold just one LIM as inventory, we actually lose money. To hold 5-10 on the chance they would sell is beyond what we can afford.

Mike

Back on Page 11, the estimate for a run of 5 was $30 more. With the cost increases in stainless we experienced, I would rather say that the cost for a run of 5 would be $235 each ($40 ea more than a run of 10).

Mike

Back on Page 11, the estimate for a run of 5 was $30 more. With the cost increases in stainless we experienced, I would rather say that the cost for a run of 5 would be $235 each ($40 ea more than a run of 10).

Mike
Mike, thank you for your patience with this gb. Unfortunately, my 2.5L lost a head gasket and I have a 3.0L to replace it. I was looking forward to getting one of these, but I now would no longer be able to use it.

Mike, thank you for your patience with this gb. Unfortunately, my 2.5L lost a head gasket and I have a 3.0L to replace it. I was looking forward to getting one of these, but I now would no longer be able to use it.

You would have plenty of use for it if you were going with a split port swap :)

I've replied to your PM Rickey. I'll stay by what I've said all along:
#1--I'll put my money up when there are at least 4 other committed buyers (preferably 10 total)
#2--This GP has not been marketed well---anyone link it on the other cougar, contour, modeo (who else uses the split port Duratecs) sites?
I have an ST220 UIM and may not ever have a need for this, but I stand by my plan of this LIM, max-honed UIM and possibly mild port work on the SVT heads being the best NA build.
I'm still following this.
-J

I just picked up a stock cougar smaller bore lim. Will this work to get bored out? I assume it would be I want to make sure.

Chad

I think it can be most people say go to the junk yard and get any v6 LIM so I don't see why this would be any different.

1. SVT Rickey
2. biminiLX
3. Redlineracer12
4. Imnotacop420

That leaves us with 1 left! Any idea on the turn around time once we send our lim in?
I might just have to pick one up in the classifieds to send in.......

You guys should all send payment so it shows up on the site.

1. SVT Rickey
2. biminiLX
3. Redlineracer12
4. Imnotacop420

That leaves us with 1 left! Any idea on the turn around time once we send our lim in?
I might just have to pick one up in the classifieds to send in.......

If it doesn't, I have 3 SVT spec LIMs that I can sell for a reasonable price.

Turnaround, since this it the first run, will probably take about 3 weeks. We will do everything as fast as we can, but we don't cut corners. If it takes longer to do it right, we do it right.

And yes, there are currently no people signed up on the group buy at SHO Source.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back