• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Nitrous Kit Questions

HAHAHAHAHA is that why my cell phone was blowin up, when i was skiing?

How do you fry a 5 wire system?

haha, hes in for some expensive parts. That box is like 80% of the cost of the system hahaha

Figure I mite as well try to clear what’s left of my name.

It was a stupid mistake, and an accident. I am willing to admit part responsibility on this due to my dyslexia but please bear with me.

Bill was doing all of the wiring, as it needed to be done under the driver seat, obviously he was setting up the window switch and the activation switch down there. Since there was already a switch from when Ryan was running nitrous down there he just used the pre existing switch to run all of the power and ground wires.

This is where it gets confusing, Ryan used all red wires down there, and the Zex kit included all red wires. Bill wanted to run the power and ground wires from the cabin into the engine bay to the nitrous controller unit (or the box as its been referred to), this makes sense as it would have been easier to set it up this way, he would have the nitrous available at the flick of a switch. He used the wiring that the kit came with, which was one very long section of red wiring.

After running the two wires into the engine bay we were presented with a conflict, there were two wires a red and a... well red one. Question is which ones is ground and which one was power? He verified it so I remembered. After a whole mess of confusion I had gotten the wires backwards, and I knew I should have marked the ground wire with some black tape I even suggested it and said it out loud, but I didn’t do it, stupidly. Bill wired up the box flipped the switch and all we got was a "click" out of the box, tried it again, and another "click" then that was it. No smoke no burning smell. I personally have never fried anything electrical in my life primarily because I am OCD about the way I do things myself but to my knowledge when you fry something smoke comes out of it. And it smells REALLY bad.

This wasn’t the case, so I didn’t believe I or we had fried it. We checked the wiring, switched it around and tried again.... No lights, nothing, no click this time either.

Sooo that sums it up. Again, Bill I feel awful about that and again, I am willing to rectify my mistake by going in half on the repairs to the box. I do feel like I am at fault for this, but I can't take all of the blame, it was a stupid heap of confusion followed by a moment of stupidity. I admit my fault.

I also am fully prepared to take any flaming I will probably get from this, I guess offering to pay for my mistake wasn’t enough. So flame away guys, I guess feeling like crap about it isn’t enough.

i'm still all about button activation.....that way i can spray at the rpm of my choice.... at the mere cost of the ugly shift knob.....

i'm still all about button activation.....that way i can spray at the rpm of my choice.... at the mere cost of the ugly shift knob.....

Push button is great and all, but the ZEX w/window switch kit has a more controlled setup, and ensures you don't over do it while keeping your hands free the whole time.

WOW! you know they make other color wiring than red right? The very little respect i had for any of you working on a car has now been lost. and yes thats Star-jerk-butt or whatever we are calling the colabertion of you clowns. Ever hear of a test light? How about double or quadruple checking wiring? or marking wiring. Or not being a ****tard?

Last edited:
i have a MSD window switch in line with my setup too... it's kinda a do you trust yourself not to mess up deal also though..... gotta be paying attention, as you should when using nitrous haha

WOW! you know they make other color wiring than red right? The very little respect i had for any of you working on a car has now been lost. and yes that Star-jerk-butt or whatever we are calling the colabertion of you clowns. ever hear of a test light? How about double or quadruple checking wiring? or makring wiring. Or not being a ****tard?

I am impressed to find you ever did have any respect for me working on a car, I love do to work on cars and every project for me is a learning experience, I know how to do a bunch of things I have tackled before, but just regular maintenance... Suspension work, brakes, minor engine work. Nothing extremely special and I am not going to claim I can actually do more, although I would like to learn new stuff. I have never installed a nitrous system before, so all of this was learning for me, and sometimes learning experiences get expensive due to mistake. Yes I know of different colored wiring, but again I didn't buy the kit or pick up the materials.

I’m not trying to start a fight Jason, just taking the opportunity to explain myself.

Im just suprised you didnt check the wiring.. Seems a little stupid IMO.

The Zex box is super expensive tho.. 500 bucks.

Zex agreed to repair it for a much smaller fee.

Yes, as I stated in my post, it was a stupid mistake. Nobody is perfect.

Except Jason.

Yeah really, you guys need to chill out with the glass houses and stones things. Shyte happens and mistakes are made. That's how people get smarter for the next time. :cool:

the problem is, this guy is dispensing advice all over CEG like he knows something, when he really doesn't. he's dangerous... HE MUST BE STOPPED!!!! lol.

Back